R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlide Gaskets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slide Gaskets
    Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 12:44pm
I am fairly new to the TT world and have never had a trailer with a slide out.  Can someone tell me how the gaskets should lay when the slide is out?  Half the time the gaskets pop out and lay on the side and top of the slide and half the time they stay curled into the gap (sometimes both).  I think having them out would shed the water away from the opening better, but I think they would seal more tightly being curled in.  What is the recommended position of the gaskets?  If it is out when the slide is out, should they be tucked in before putting the slide in?  I know they need to be lubricated periodically with silicone spray but I want to be sure they give the best seal possible.  I have read much of the forum and couldn't find anything on this specific topic. Thanks for your help.
Pod: 2013 178
TV: 2014 Explorer Limited with tow package
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 3:38pm
I believe they are designed to go/point in the direction the slide last moved. Wipe them down with some silicone spray, that will keep them flexible.
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 3:54pm
agree with furpod. Occasionally they do not come all the way out so I always check to make sure. I think it would be a big positive deterrent with rain when there out.
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 4:50pm
Thanks Furpod and Hogone for the input.  I have normally pulled them out when setting up but I just was not sure of the best way.  Reaching the top can be a challenge even for someone 6'4" like me.  I expect the silicone to help.
Pod: 2013 178
TV: 2014 Explorer Limited with tow package
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 7:47pm
just my opinion, always bring some sort of ladder, never know when you might need, takes very little space, a good way to check top of slide before rolling it in to make sure nothing is up there.  can serve a bunch of other purposes too.  i also make sure those gaskets are in when i bring the slide in, they also can occasionally stick a little; like all else have mentioned, keep them lubed.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply