R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStopping Varmits - Event Date: 06 Apr 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Stopping Varmits
    Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 7:11pm
Hi Folks,
Picking up our new 180 next week.  Just discovered the squirells ( or mice ) have probably eaten through a wiring harness in my truck.  For a second time. Many dash board warning lights are on. Replacing the first harness was expensive.  This one probably will be too.
So... My question now is.. Is there anything I can do to protect my brand new rpod from the varmits ?
I am considering ordering the new style all season cover from the Rpod website.  Does anyone have experience with this cover, or have recommendations on a cover that might help secure my new toy from weather and varmits ?  Thanks in advanc for any help or advice you can give us.
Joe, Karen, and of course, Bessie the bassett

JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 7:29pm
I had a rat hanging out in my truck so I put 2 rat traps on a wood board and mounted it to the engine so it was stable and ducked taped a trap on the battery. The next morning 2 of the 3 traps had been sprung. I reset them and left it that way for a month and it never came back. When I needed the truck I had to remove the board with the traps mounted on that. I also tried the mothballs hanging in the engine compartment. My trailer is outside and have had no problems, I think there is no good place for them to hide from the neighborhood cats. All open holes under the trailer have been covered in spray foam to cut down on leaks. I do have a cover on the trailer
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 7:47pm
JandL,   Thanks.   My truck is an 09 Ridgeline.  Owned it since new. I really like it.  I am hoping it pulls the rpod ok.  I would like to have any comments you have... Is Ridgeline satisfactory ? 
Thanks
Joe
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 8:57pm
I have no regrets about my truck. I have had no problem towing my 177 and there has been no road I have not been able get up. I live in California and when I head up over the Sierra’s at times I only drive at 45 mph because the mileage drops off as I try to floor it and go faster. I’ve always found places to pull over if I get cars behind me. I average about 12 mpg driving 55-60 mph per trip. I do not have a sway bar or equalizer and have had no sway problems. When I am traveling the trailer is around 3000 lbs. with a 290 lbs. tongue weight. I posted on the forum on the Dynamics of towing that are some technical articles about sway. The other nice thing about the Ridgeline is how comfortable the back seats are when people travel with us. One other item is the D3 button for transmission control when going downhill. If the grade is less than 6% and the transmission is in D3, I hardly have to touch the brakes. I have been on a downhill leaving Death Valley that was 9% and with D3 on I had no problem keeping the brakes cool and speed between 45-50 mph

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7315&title=dynamics-of-towing

Here is another good post about towing with a Ridgeline
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f37/2012-honda-ridgeline-towing-jayflight-swift-slx-2014-a-17523.html
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 7:51pm
We keep our 177 in a horse barn during the hibernation months and we do see plenty of mice out there.  The one thing we do is to take steel wool and cover the port openings from the furnace on the side of the pod, they are around a 2" diameter opening.  Other than that we leave a few dryer sheets on the floor and bed of the pod as well.  No issues after 5 years with critters.  We do have a well fed cat however that likes to hang out at the barn sometimesLOL
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 8:03pm
Well fed cat is a happy cat!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 8:08pm
Indeed, now is the time it transitions from mice to birds.  It especially likes Blue Jays as they often like to help themselves to the cat dish.  Our cat is the typical sneaky cat as the bowl is placed near a bush where the cat can sneak up on the Blue Jay enjoying its "entitlement."
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply