R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 58>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 11:15am
At a minimum, I would go ahead and add the sway bar. I still don't think the hitch you have is adequate as a weight transfer hitch, but if it works for you, then why buy yet another hitch since you already have this one?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DaPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 11:57am
The Air Safe is definitely not a weight control hitch, i am now thinking of using a physical sway bar rather than the electronic control, just too many things that can go wrong and much more expensive and there is a built in sway arm. Clearly they are telling me something if its part of the system. Thank goodness its on the passenger side because there wouldn't be anywhere to install the link on the A frame since the spare tire is there. Also, i really don't want to put that tire under and behind because it will just add to the sway.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 1:17pm
I hope you get the sway problem fixed. You did not say what your tongue weight was. That would be a good thing to find out as well as the total weight when loaded for travel. The factory dry weight is only somewhat helpful since the loaded weight is quite a bit more.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 6:11pm
Time for another modification. I was not satisfied with the battery lock-down brackets I had made. They were clumsy and I could not get the battery lids off to check water level without a lot of work and risk of scratching the diamond plate. So, I got to thinking and came up with Battery Lock Version 2.

I used flat strap steel for the ends and square tube steel for the crossbar. After bending the flat steel, I measured and cut the square bar to the length I needed. Then the hard work began. I used a cold chisel to start folding the top and bottom sides of the crossbar at both ends and used a 20 lb sledge hammer to flatten the ends. I used some JB Weld to fill the gaps and drilled holes for the locks. A coat of paint and the crossbar was ready. The flat steel got slots cut by drilling a series of holes and then drilling, grinding, and filing them out until they were long and wide enough for the flattened ends of the crossbar to fit. They got a coat of paint. I attached the flat straps to the cross-piece to which the sewer hose container had been attached using stainless steel bolts, washers, and nylock nuts. Since the batteries would need to be removed for someone to get to the heads of the bolts, they would not be easy to remove since the blots would spin if someone tried removing them. The crossbar slides in and the padlocks complete the installation of this improved version of my battery locking system.

The total cost was not much. I could have used an anvil to help with flattening the square stock, but for the tools I had available, I think it looks pretty good. Big smile

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 6:15pm
Really nice work!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 8:21pm
Early on, I wanted a way to carry the ladder I had bought. While what I did worked, it also took up precious space in the basement storage. Another thing that was a peeve was the sewer hose tube. My last modification to mount it on the Trailer Tray did not work out as it interfered with the propane tank cover. I could not take the cover off unless I took the tube off. I decided to address both of these at the same time.

I took the tube I had previously made for the ladder out. Since it already had some perforations, I decided to repurpose it as the sewer hose tube. I purchased a new one for the ladder. Since it would not be inside, I needed to address security. I have not felt the need to lock up the sewer hose. I don't know of too many people who would want to steal a used sewer hose. The ladder was a different matter. I purchased 4 post caps. Two of these were cemented on. The other two became removable caps for access to the hose or ladder. The hose got an additional tray to make it easier to get it out or stow it.

Now for some pictures to show the finished products:

Sewer hose cover and back end of ladder tube:

Sewer Hose Tray extended:

Ladder in tube:

Ladder tube locked:

The new ladder tube is slightly longer than the old tube. This is because I glued a 1" block of PVC molding on the back side to keep the ladder from hitting the cap during movement and glued a block of PVC molding in the cover to keep the ladder from bouncing directly against the locking cover. The hardware is attached to the tubes with pop-rivets and backing plates. The brackets were made from aluminum stock. I went with a light 1/16" stock for the sewer hose but after breaking a piece, changed to a 1/8" piece for the ladder. It is attached to the frame with #14 self-tapping screws but I added lock washers to make sure they stay tight.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 8:26pm
Nice work!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
voisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote voisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I took the tube I had previously made for the ladder out. Since it already had some perforations, I decided to repurpose it as the sewer hose tube. I purchased a new one for the ladder. Since it would not be inside, I needed to address security. I have not felt the need to lock up the sewer hose. I don't know of too many people who would want to steal a used sewer hose. The ladder was a different matter. I purchased 4 post caps. Two of these were cemented on. The other two became removable caps for access to the hose or ladder. The hose got an additional tray to make it easier to get it out or stow it.

Now for some pictures to show the finished products:

Sewer hose cover and back end of ladder tube:

Sewer Hose Tray extended:

Ladder in tube:

Ladder tube locked:

Stephan, I just want to say what a great idea this is for the sewer line, simple, elegant, function able.
I like it!
Life is good, John 
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:50am
I can't claim credit for the idea. I had seen where someone had made a similar sewer hose holder elsewhere. This is my implementation of it. The ladder carrier is my idea though. Modifying the ends to just fit the length of the ladder and cementing one block to the end of the tube that is permanently closed and to the inside of the removable cap ensures the ladder fits securely and won't slide back and forth as the trailer moves.

We got to try this arrangement on our most recent trip. It worked well for us. I had thought of mounting the ladder behind the front stabilizers, but decided that the two next to each other  behind the axle was better. Getting in and out of our driveway is much better as there is no longer the risk of scraping the sewer hose holder which had happened when it was mounted under the tongue.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:20pm
Time to start writing up the latest in my series of escaPOD mods.

I never did care for the legs on the table. I also really did not like the multiple thin cushions that were supposed to be used for sleeping. So, the latest mod takes care of these issues.

First, the table. I ordered two legs and four table/floor hubs from Camping World as this was the best option for price. I removed the mechanism from the table and mounted two of the hubs to the table with #12x3/4" screws. I did not want to use ones that long, but could not find any shorter. It worked out and they did not penetrate the top. I initially mounted them to be roughly at the ends of the previous mechanism, but found that it would not leave enough foot room at the ends. I moved them inward about four inches. After I was happy with that, I set the posts in and with the floor hubs loose, moved the table to where it looked like it should be. Then I worked on fastening the floor hubs with #12x3/4" screws.

That finishes the table modifications. Tomorrow, I'll write about the cushions.

Edit: There were multiple reasons for using the brackets: have the table low enough to allow the slide to move over the top of it and have the table top the same height as the ottomans. This also meant that with the slide in retracted, I would not have to put the table top on the cushion and strap it down. It will be much better when we travel not to have the table in the way when we stop to fix something to eat. We will have full use of the seat, even with the slide retracted.

Also, I did have to move the one ottoman closest to the bed to bring it in so that the supports would work. Originally, the space was about two inches too wide.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 58>