R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 58>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

I like the double sided chock you have. I like that much better than the 2 single chocks I use on each side of the tire. They look to be made of aluminum? It looks like the center connector is a turnbuckle, so you can adjust the size of the opening ? I will be ordering them soon.
The center part is a square with threaded sections on the ends in opposite directions, so it works like a turnbuckle. The end sections are some alloy. It is heavier than it would be if it were aluminum. The description says it has an anti-rust coating, so I think it is plated steel.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:11am
Ok, Thanks Stephen. I'm going to order probably 2, on amazon. I see people saying you only need one, but i'm thinking 2 is better. Cost alot more to buy a new camper than one of these. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 12:50pm
2 is for if you are on level ground. If not, then an Andersen Leveler or Beech Lane Leveler works well if you need to raise the low side 4" or less. I have the Andersen leveler because the Beech Lane Leveler did not exist when I purchased my A. L. My first one broke, but was replaced with what looks to be a stronger version under warranty. This type leveler, when the trailer is leveled, also acts as a chock. I also have the BAL leveler, but I think that the BAL leveler is more suited to the lighter RPods. The jack screw is a weak link. If not lubricated, it can gall and sieze or it can strip out and drop the load. Plus, the tilting tire platforms can't be good for the tires.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:02pm
We have used the Anderson Leveler for a while now. I would not take it up to the 4" limit they advertise, but 3" is probably fine.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 7:25am
I like the Beech Lake Leveler, it has the grip mat! I use a piece of my old hiking bed mat under my Anderson's.. LOL

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 8:58am
The Bal adjustable 2 sided chocks came in. They are bigger than I imagined, and pretty heavy duty. I'm pretty happy with these. So much nicer than the cheese wedge chocks i've used till now.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 11:41am

The Bal adjustable 2 sided chocks came in. They are bigger than I imagined, and pretty heavy duty. I'm pretty happy with these. So much nicer than the cheese wedge chocks i've used till now.
Great! I've been happy with the one I have. It has proven to be very durable and effective.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:54am

I debated those because they looked like they could actually stop the trailer rock. Didn't like the lift/leveling part of it.. Just me.. I've wondered why someone hasn't made something simpler. The dual axle folks have one!!

I finally saw one at the RV Show Saturday. No for sale, in use on the trailers one Dealer had at the show. I couldn't get the name, nor did the sales-folks want to tell me about them. I think one of their mechanics made them. You'd still need to level with the Lego's, then clip it on the tire. I may just make a pair..
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

I debated those because they looked like they could actually stop the trailer rock. Didn't like the lift/leveling part of it.. Just me.. I've wondered why someone hasn't made something simpler. The dual axle folks have one!!
The single tire chocks being discussed do not have the lift/leveling function. That is an entirely different product. The single axle chock just blocks the wheels from rolling.

I finally saw one at the RV Show Saturday. No for sale, in use on the trailers one Dealer had at the show. I couldn't get the name, nor did the sales-folks want to tell me about them. I think one of their mechanics made them. You'd still need to level with the Lego's, then clip it on the tire. I may just make a pair..
Do you happen to have a picture?
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 10:04am
Ah.. The BAL's are adjustable lift... That's what I was responding to (quoted)...

No I didn't, but drew up the basic of what I saw to work out making a pair.

Actually think it could work with my Andersons.. That would be nice! 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 58>