R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 58>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 1:44pm
That looks a lot more complicated to use than the BAL single wheel chock.One would have to be able to get down and work the item around the back of the wheel and then it looks like it needs to be tightened on both the front and back side. The BAL chock works from the front side only.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by StephenH

That looks a lot more complicated to use than the BAL single wheel chock.One would have to be able to get down and work the item around the back of the wheel and then it looks like it needs to be tightened on both the front and back side. The BAL chock works from the front side only.

Or place and drive over.. Once set to size, a simple clip/hooked front would work well also. Guess you have to envision the simplicity vs. complications... 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 4:09pm
It is lower, so driving over would be doable. By the same token, if it can be driven over, it would likely be less effective in the situation mentioned where the wind pushed the RPod around.The BAL chock which is too big to drive over is also less likely to be pushed. Additionally, if you8 are in a situation where you need to level it, finding the proper place to set on the side not being raised while raising the other side adds time and complication. I still think the BAL chock is better in most situations.
However, this is taking the topic way off into areas not concerned with my modifications. It would be best to discuss merits of different chocks, different leveling methods, etc. in a different topic.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:51am

However, this is taking the topic way off into areas not concerned with my modifications. It would be best to discuss merits of different chocks, different leveling methods, etc. in a different topic.

You asked, on your thread, I've only answered/responded to your question/replies..  
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 8:10am
Yes, but I am asking that we take it to a different topic. I am much to blame for this topic drift but I want to correct that. It started with a question form mjlrpod about the chocks which I answered and then it expanded from there.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 8:59am
Okay, back to the mods. I did this little one because I wanted to be able to use the space where the two 6V batteries used to be. I found a rack at Lowe's,Item # 319520 Model # WD2424, edsal 2 Ft x 22-in Chrome Fixed Mount Wire Shelf. This I cut down into two 8" wide sections, keeping the double wire sides and then shaping the ends to match the angle of the A frame. Since there was some corrosion of the battery brackets, I used a wire brush and some Krylon Rust Converting Black Primer to coat the brackets. I also sprayed them and the wire shelf material with Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating. This should protect both the brackets and the shelving from the weather and road dirt and dust.

Potential uses:  I found that the vertical space is not sufficient to carry a spare propane bottle carried upright. I did not test it lying down and I am not sure about carrying a 20 lb propane bottle that way. Nor is it sufficient to carry my Generac iX2000 generator. However, it should be adequate to carry at least one 5 gallon gasoline container which we will take on our expected long trip this spring. It would likely hold a smaller generator such as the Harbor Freight 900 Watt Max Tailgator. There may be other things I will find that make more sense to carry there.

Now for the picture:

The former battery positive cable bundle (battery cable, Zamp wire, and jack wire) is tied off with zip-ties to the upright for the trailer tray and the negative bundle (battery cable and Zamp wire) is bolted to the battery frame (not technically needed, but it keeps the wires out of the way).

I am still waiting for the extension cable for the meter to finish the LiFePO4 conversion project. I'm also still not 100% sure of where I want to mount the meter. I don't want to make any more holes in the wall since I am trying to make this reversible in case we want to get a different trailer some day and want to transfer it.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 9:57am

Potential uses:  I found that the vertical space is not sufficient to carry a spare propane bottle carried upright. I did not test it lying down and I am not sure about carrying a 20 lb propane bottle that way.

You're right not to carry a propane cylinder on its side. They need to be carried secured in an upright position. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 10:09am
Thanks for the confirmation. Perhaps a smaller 10 lb propane cylinder would fit if I can find one to take some measurements.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 9:41pm
The final part came in and I have now completed the LiFePO4 installation. The part was the extension cable for the power monitor so that I could mount the meter part grouped with the other utilities next to the shower door. I did not want to drill another hole, but instead I wanted to mount it so that if we trade to a different model RPod (or other trailer), I could take the LiFePO4 installation with me. To be able to do this, I made a little box and finished it. This box is just deep enough for the meter to be mounted. I used double sided 3M tape (the clear one) to stick it to the wall. The wire for the meter runs out of the side next to the voltmeter that I had installed previously. I enlarged the opening behind it just enough to get the wire through to run into the meter box. I am pleased with the way it looks. Even though I used paint instead of trying to match the stain color of the walls, it turned out to match quite well. Not exact, but it looks like it fits in. Here is a picture:

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 7:25am
Why isn't it ok to carry a propane tank on it's side?  I have a horizontal 30 lb propane tank in my truck camper.  It has the same valve as any other propane tank.  I've been using it for 16 years.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 58>