Topic ClosedHeads up/camping in Yellowstone area 8/2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
codycountry View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heads up/camping in Yellowstone area 8/2017
    Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 5:43pm
Interesting article info about a long eclipse area and where to view it best.  There will be some campground jams nationwide directly under the eclipse.   

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/great-american-eclipse-draws-tourists-to-wyoming-in/article_61bc5775-10f9-5102-bdbd-1576ffd928bf.html
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 6:50pm

Thanks for the "heads up", codycountry!
Pete Brayton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 8:32am
I have a brother who lives near Wheatland, WY where my family will meet for the eclipse and then move to a spot on the centerline on the day of the eclipse. If you have never seen a total solar eclipse, you should make a point to see this one, you won't regret it.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 8:44pm
Cool.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 8:19pm
Sounds like quite an event!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 6:26pm
This seems very strange/odd to me, yet I've been hearing about it for a few months from highly informed sources, it finally hit the news, and I want to warn or give heads up to our rpod family here to enhance your time out in the rpods.  Take it or leave it.

A few days ago I read an online newspaper article (which I can't seem to re-locate) that all the hotels in Jackson, Wy. are being booked up and sold out by tour agencies and people from all over the world for a solar eclipse that is going to happen in August 2017.  Jackson is on the centerline (see link below for map of centerline).  The campgrounds within the area are being booked already as well.  It seems odd to me that so many people would flock to this event, but it is for real.  There is a huge international tourism interest in the event, and where better than Yellowstone country to view it?   I hope it isn't cloudy or smoky from western wildfires.

So, for those of you who are into astronomy (I've seen a couple serious astronomer's  here on this site in the last week) or if you are thinking of coming to Yellowstone country on vacation in mid August 2017 you better start planning and making reservations very soon. It is congested enough around here in August without adding lot's more people from worldwide to see a few minute solar event.  Chamber of Commerce delight.  It will be cool, and I'll watch it from my house in Cody Wy......

In Casper the county commissioners are debating a request from some large group to lease "Hell's Half Acre" and have a large solar gathering event there.  Talking  thousands of "Burning Man" types.  $$$ for the county.  It is a highly eroded and interesting looking  area west of Casper where they filmed part of the movie "Starship Troopers".  The city of Casper owns the area.  So this is for real folks.

I added a couple links below for your reading pleasure.

Safe travels, and I'll wave when we pass.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html
http://www.jacksonholewy.com/blog/jackson-hole-is-the-perfect-place-to-see-the-total-solar-eclipse-in-2017/
 Post Reply Post Reply