Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPoor Forest River quality control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poor Forest River quality control
    Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:02pm
Hate to bad mouth Forest River but don't think much of their quality control.
We picked up our 2017 179 yesterday at Big Daddy's RV and stopped at Indian mountain state park for our first night shakedown. I decided to fill the fresh water tank so I stuck the hose in and turned on the faucet. Started doing other things setting up and heard wife inside screaming, there's water pouring out on floor from under the bed.I looked at the filler opening for the fresh water tank and nothing was coming out the vent hole. I then had to take out the bed to get to the plumbing. The vent hose coming out of the top of the water tank blew off at the inside of the the filler connection,no hose clamp was put on at the factory.
Bad job Forest River!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:35pm
That would be annoying!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
dr.becky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 2:16pm
We pcked our 179 up on Tuesday.  Our water supply lines were not hooked up.  Needs caulk re done in several places.  What other items should we check?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 2:31pm
Hello?????? FR? Anybody there?  This is inexcusable..... You're ruining a very good brand!
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by dr.becky

We pcked our 179 up on Tuesday.  Our water supply lines were not hooked up.  Needs caulk re done in several places.  What other items should we check?

I would check the straps and brackets that mount the water tanks. Search this forum for problems and fixes.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 3:23pm
Wow! And I thought that the drain plumbing under the sink not being tightened properly was bad. My condolences. I hope you got things dried out well before any damage was done. In our case, the drain plumbing connectors were loose, and water leaked out and into the drawers beneath the sink. The middle drawer caught the bulk of the water. Unfortunately, we had two brand-new cookbooks in there. They got soaked. Angry We were able to dry them out, but the pages are all wrinkled so that it does not lie quite as flat as it should. There are also water stains.

Forest River does have a disclaimer that it is the owner's responsibility to check the plumbing connections. However, this should not be an excuse for them to skip the QA checks before it ships. This should have been caught before it left the factory. Your problem should also have been caught before it left the factory.

We have a 2016 179. Under the right side of the countertop where the shelves are is a panel that conceals both the shore power plug-in port and the connections for the outside shower. The pipes for the shower were installed just pulled up and screwed to the back of the shower. They were not fully tight, so this leaked just a little. When I had the panel out, I took the pipes off and installed 90 degree elbows so that the pipes would connect straight instead of bending. I figure that there would be less stress on them and they would be more likely to not leak this way. I also checked all of the plumbing fittings I could get to.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 5:31pm
My understanding is the the DEALER is suppose to check ALL systems prior to delivery, for this very reason. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 6:17pm
Agree with Podster.  If damage is apparent the dealer should either swap yours out for another one, under warranty, or fess up and make the necessary fixes and adjustments, on his nickel.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 9:05pm
I agree also that the dealer SHOULD check all systems. Unfortunately, should does not equal SHALL as there is apparently a lot about these and other brands of trailers that the dealers ASSUME are installed correctly at the factory. I still think that it goes back to the factory QA, as some of these issues are not in areas visible to the dealer for inspection, such as those connections which are behind partitions. The outside shower connections I mentioned above are but one example.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Sailor John View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 7:36pm
OuchOuchOuch DW and I were sitting in our 2015 179, and noticed two items that surely show that whoever is on the assembly line at the Dallas plant could care less about their product.  The A/C shroud (air defector) had pulled the outer screws except  2 out of the ceiling and was ready to fall>  They had forgot to put the two screws that go into the A/C, these are the ones that hold that air deflector up, the outer screws just hold it tight to the ceiling.  Also the fantastic was coming down on one corner, upon looking at it, the one corner screw missed the stud.  Now I wonder what else is missing.  
John & Reina
2015 r-179, 2006 Jeep Liberty
Retired Sub sailor
West central ID
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>