Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPoor Forest River quality control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poor Forest River quality control
    Posted: 08 May 2016 at 8:48pm

Here is a link to the video of the Jayco assembly line which I can pretty much guarantee all mfg's look the same:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMJrRQ3SVk

It was not the r-pod being built, but I assume FR and others follow the same "craftsmanship" since most ultralight TT's of any brand are poorly made.

It was an eye opener to see how quickly the Amish could throw them together since (I assume) they were paid by the units completed (they could roll out 32 a day)....

Ultimately, it is management's responsibility for quality assurance and control and there should be a lemon law as there is for autos IMHO.

sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 9:12pm
OK, Amish and Mennonite builders are as capable of shoddy workmanship as anyone else.   As far as FR quality control is concerned, the RPod is a low priced, lightweight trailer.  FR has to cut corners to maintain those parameters.  Be prepared to fix things!  That being said, we have spent 6 months out of the past 10 months in the pod, we have put way over 12 thousand miles on it, we have traveled over some of the roughest roads on the planet and have only had one minor problem.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 10:27pm
We have traveled over very rough roads as well, even nearly tearing off both rear stabilizers; they will be replaced soon.  Over 15,000 miles over the past 5 years and I guess I am NOT going to complain because I haven't had anything to complain about except I do have to replace my tires, due to normal wear and tear; will do that later this week.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 10:41pm
I did replace my tires. I guess it was 12K or so miles. Seems a bit short. I guess that's my only complaint, really. I think they were not balanced correctly to begin with. Otherwise, fixed what needed to be fixed and changed what needed to be changed. It just doesn't seem like that complicated or sophisticated machine/structure. At least not anymore. What I wasn't sure of, I asked here. Smart people here..they are.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 10:23am
I have known people to move into a new construction $750k house, and then have dozens warranty various fixes go on for the next year. My FiL, who just passed last week, always said: "When it comes to Boats and RVs, if you have to ask how much the maintenance costs - then you can't afford it."  I bought a budget $15k Teardrop, not a luxury $45k Airstream Bambi. But it's all relative, I am handy and can handle 90% of the repairs myself.
julieboyles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:28am
Now on my check list--"Be sure dealer checks all systems thoroughly." I guess that'll be a trust thing on my part since I don't know what that check list will look like. Probably buying at a local, reputable dealer that's been around for a long time--always a good sign, I think.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:49am
The dealer should have your pod set up to give you the walk thru  they should show you how to use/ turn on and off everything! Stove, frig, tv,heater, radio system, confection oven, a/c, slide, r-dome attachment, shower, sinks. My suggestion is to have a video camera or cell phone video to record everything, there is so much info you forget a lot a few days after you see it.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
julieboyles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 12:04pm
Great idea. I've seen that mentioned somewhere else and will make sure my phone is fully charged and video everything. Sometimes I get freaked out that I'm a 50-something woman who doesn't know crap about any of this stuff--really, any of it--but heck, I've done more adventurous things than living in a R-pod for a month or two at a time. I can do this. Thanks.
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 8:22pm
Rpods could be a Great Travel Trailer but until quality control issues are corrected at the factory, Rpods will be just another good trailer......... among other good trailers.

There are two books out there I suggest every manager at the Rpod factory read, "Good to Great" and "Built to Last" both written by Jim Collins.

They could become a Great Trailer and RV company.

Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 9:24pm
To  Retroactive,  AMEN !  We have had no big problems since picking ours up in March 2011.  I guess the biggest expense to date will happen this week when I get 2 new tires, first time replaced, as they have around 18,000 or a smidge more miles, still look great but they were manufactured in 2010.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>