FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOverhead storage compartments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overhead storage compartments
    Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 9:50pm
I have a 2009 175 and  like the storage that is over the sofa slideout.  My only complaint or wish is  to install hinges that will keep the doors open while I retrieve something from the compartment.  I currently have to hold the door up with one hand and try to get my dishes or whatever out with another.  I am short and sometimes need two hands for this.    We purchased hinges from our local RV supply company but my husband says that they won't fit and will need to find another type.  Has anyone made this modification and can you suggest the right ones to buy?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 9:59pm
Try this link Brin ... I believe the terminology might be "Lid Stays" ...

HAPPY PODing !!!
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 1:12pm
We worked hard with Couch's to try to find struts that would work on the cabinets of our 174 (same as the 175 and, I assume the kitchen slide units as well). We knew this was an issue when we had the rental unit.

The service guys tried several different type of struts and we even looked at the other models (I believe a 171 or 172) where it did work, but because of the way our cabinet inside is constructed, if they were installed, the cabinet would no longer be able to close completely.

I probably won't stop trying to look, but when Couch's told me it couldn't be done, that search sort of slowed down.

Let me know if you find anything.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 2:21pm
I have also been looking for a lid support that will work with the unusual configuration of the above sofa cabinets. No luck so far. As you may know, the problem stems from the cabinet's vertical opening being about 2-3 inches smaller than the vertical height of the door.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 3:47pm
Try this place: http://www.woodworker.com  You also can order, on line, a free 180 page catalog.  They have just about anything that has anything to do with wood working.

Terry
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by gepaine

I have also been looking for a lid support that will work with the unusual configuration of the above sofa cabinets. No luck so far. As you may know, the problem stems from the cabinet's vertical opening being about 2-3 inches smaller than the vertical height of the door.

That's it exactly (the problem)- or at least what they told me at Couch's- I just couldn't recall how to describe it. thanks!
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 10:08pm
Just a thought.....has anyone tried using a hook and eye or bungee to hold the door up?

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 8:30pm
I haven't come up with a solution yet because we are still on the road but this problem is near the top of my "youcan" list that Mrs. 'Piper has drawn up.  These may be famous last words but I think it can be solve pretty quickly.  Will let you know when we get home tomorrow.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 9:48pm
We haven't gotten our Pod yet, hope to bring home a 177, but I avidly read these boards....think this might be an overhead cabinet solution:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21288

I've only dealt with Rockler ( www.rockler.com ) a few times, but they seem very reliable.  These hinges come in a variety of size/strengths to hold cabinets/lids up and in place.  A bit pricey, but could be what you are looking for.

Tom
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by VenturaTom

We haven't gotten our Pod yet, hope to bring home a 177, but I avidly read these boards....think this might be an overhead cabinet solution:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21288

I've only dealt with Rockler ( www.rockler.com ) a few times, but they seem very reliable.  These hinges come in a variety of size/strengths to hold cabinets/lids up and in place.  A bit pricey, but could be what you are looking for.

Tom

We have the 177 and you may have the solution to the overhead door problem.  Right now it takes two of us --one to hold the door up and one to maneuver the dishes, glasses, cups etc in and out of the storage.  It does develop teamwork though. Rockler is a good supplier but as you said they are a  bit pricey.
Hope you get your 177 soon.  You will enjoy it we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>