R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed50 amp service?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50 amp service?
    Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 7:21pm
Hi all, we're new at this, spent lots of years in a1990 Jayco pop up but are now proud owners of our new '16 179. I have made a reservation for mid-July for a site that I now found out has 50 amp service. Got our Pod late last summer and spent a half dozen 3-4 nighters reasonably close to home and had a ball giving tours and answering questions about our new R-Pod 😄. But never ran into a 50 amp site. Do we need a special adaptor/protection to use 50amp site? We have a surge protector, but as I sit here in my car I don't know any of its' specs. Any advice? My inexperience is showing 😳. Am I anywhere near the right place to post this ?
Ron
Ron & Char
2016 R-Pod 179
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 7:35pm
I would call the campground and check if the 50 amp site also has 30 amp service.  Most of the ones I've stayed at had 50 amp, 30 amp and 15 amp outlets in the same pedestal.  I would just give them a call to make sure they have both at the pedestal.

If they don't....  all you need is an adapter, easy to find at your local Walmart or any RV parts store.  They are usually $10 or under.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 7:55pm
This is what most pedestals look like. We have only once been at a CG that literally only had a 50A outlet. Used our dog bone. It is normal for the site description to only list "50A" for this, as it's the highest amperage supported.

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 9:14pm
Some of the campgrounds we have been to in Pennsylvania and others in the East charge more if you camp on a 50A site.  We try to find a 30 amp site at those campgrounds.  Why should I pay for something I hardly use, as we don't have the entertainment system, the oven/microwave, or A/C on our pod, hence that is why we often boondock at state forest campgrounds or national parks where no electricity is available.  One spot we frequent and is nearby is Fisherman's State Park, near Charlevoix, MI.  Last year it was $ 10 a night, this year the price went up to $ 13 a night, quite a hefty increase.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 9:52pm
Even though 99% of the sites you will camp in will have 50/30/20 service, it is well worth buying a 50-to-30 amp adapter as mentioned above, and a 20-to-30 amp adapter.  Make sure neither is the "hockey puck" type but rather the "dog bone" type, also mentioned above.  One instance you may need them is if the 30 amp outlet, which is the most-used outlet, is worn out.  Or there is a wiring issue with the 30 amp outlet but not the other outlets (see the link in my signature for info on detecting that).  Note that you can run the A/C on a 15 or 20 amp outlet, you just can't run any of the other major appliances at the same time.  Not a big deal, we run into this with our generator at times, you just learn to manage your loads.

Since the 80's I have camped in one site (twice) that only had a 50 amp outlet, and multiple times where there has only been a 15 or 20 amp outlet (usually at homes, once in a campsite).  I camped in one site near Graceland where it was impossible to plug into the 30 amp outlet where it was positioned in the box.  It was raining so it was nice to just slap the 50 amp adapter on and get inside.

Note there is a potential - but very small - safety issue when using a 50-to-30 adapter.  The pod will be running from a 50 amp circuit breaker, which is higher than the design of the cord running between the pedestal and the pod.  Since there is a 30 amp main breaker inside the pod it is impossible to draw more than 30 amps, so the pod is still protected.  It is just remotely possible that if there is a problem with the cord outside it could melt.  You won't find a UL listing on those adapters for that reason.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 5:37am

+1 on the above. The "dog bones" mentioned are good accessories to keep in the "stuff box" you carry. They cost a little more but, they are worth it. I have a "hockey puck" style that will get warm - just charging the batteries! Though I've yet to use the 50-30 amp (dog bone), it's there when I need it.
 Post Reply Post Reply