FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJust Purchased New Rpod 171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just Purchased New Rpod 171
    Posted: 07 May 2016 at 6:50pm
Hi to all,
I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I'm Russ from Coos Bay, Oregon. My wife Renee & I just purchased a 2016 Rpod 171 from Porter's RVs here locally Smile. We won't be picking it up until this coming Saturday. This is so that Renee can be present during the walk-thru (she works during the week).

So far our experience has been quite nice with Porter's, getting the 171 on a special dealer's promotion price. We chose the 171 for its lessor weight and good storage compared to the 177. We decided that a slide-out wasn't necessary and weight was important. 

We almost decided not to buy, when I looked into my tow vehicle's manual. While the 2009 RAV4 (V6) has a 3500 lb. tow limit and 350 lb. max hitch weight, that is only with the tow package. Since mine doesn't have that package the limits are 2000/200 lbs. This would put any of the Rpods out of the picture. But on talking to the local Toyota dealer and others knowledgeable in trailer towing, they said the biggest thing with a tow package is the transmission cooler. It also could include a tow hitch, wiring, larger alternator and possibly a larger radiator. 

So I had a good sized transmission cooler and 7-pin electrical jack installed. The vehicle has the standard Toyota hitch and separate 4-pin jack. At the Toyota dealer the person said things should be OK with the Rpod - just use a weight-distributing hitch, be sensible in driving and keep the speeds down. He also said trailer towing is "severe service" so that maintenance intervals should be adjusted accordingly. So with our fears largely calmed we bought the 171 and are looking forward to using it this summer.

Question  What are some thoughts from forum members about the match between trailer and tow vehicle?

While an A-frame pop-up trailer would have matched the reduced tow capacity of our vehicle, they are more expensive than the Rpods and storage is very limited. I have found this forum to be a gold mine of good information about the Rpods. They must be good travel trailers since so many have purchased one. Having such a forum to exchange information is a big plus.

Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 7:12pm
Welcome to the group!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 7:26pm
Hey Russ, I also just got a 171 last week and am towing with a 2014 Honda Pilot 4 WD. I had the dealer install an E2 weight distribution hitch and it really helps. To get it to ride level they had to use a longer shank. The Pilot has an especially high receiver at near 22". Did two nights camping at two different MIchigan State Parks and it was a great experience. The convection/microwave oven was great, cooked a pizza in it even! The storage is more than expected and the tanks are huge. Gas mileage is 11-13, but that is expected. Have fun!
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 7:31pm
A V-6 and the Tranny Cooler mod is 90% of the battle. And yes, go with the "severe duty" intervals at least for oil and tranny. The Rav-4 is a little on the light side, a WDH and Sway setup is probably advisable. 171 owners unite!
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 7:46pm
Pilotpodder, welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 1:49am
Big smile We picked up our new Rpod 171 a few days ago. I'll need some more practice in backing the trailer, since it took a bit to get it backed into my driveway. I was concerned about the possibility of the trailer hanging up since I would be backing down a slight grade into a rising grade driveway at 90° to the road. No problem with the Hood River Edition having the extra clearance. The closest item to hanging up was the bottom of the tow hitch, which cleared the curb by several inches. The Rpod is actually parked on a lawn to the side of the driveway. So to ease getting over the curb I placed some boards on the road next to the curb.

I had been concerned Ouch with the possibility of legal problems exceeding the tow rating for my 2009 Toyota RAV4, V6 (269 HP). I had assumed that I didn't have the tow package, which would limit the tow rating to 2000 lbs. and 200 lbs. max. tongue weight. Our Rpod 171, having 2475/250 lbs. would be over these limits. But on reviewing some information kept with the owner's manual, I came across the original sales sticker that came from the car's window in the dealer's lot, giving the vehicle options, pricing etc. Much to my delight Star it does mention the optional "Towing Prep Package - V6, 3500 lbs. Towing (includes upgraded radiator, fan coupling and alternator)". It doesn't mention a transmission cooler. But I did have one installed at a local transmission shop.

In any case the trailer towed home quite easily. Without any cargo, there was minimal need for tension on the Husky Centerline TS weight distributing hitch. But when adding cargo, including 250 lbs. of fresh water, I'm sure there will be some more tension needed. The sway control feature will be of use as well. The trailer sticker mentions cargo capacity of ~750 lbs. So after adding water, I will have around 500 lbs. for other cargo before reaching the 3225 lbs. GVWR. I hope to stay well below the GVWR. But things add up quickly.

Before towing on our first outing I will be having the vehicle's fluids changed - automatic transmission, 4wd transfer case, rear differential, etc. Under normal usage, these fluids would not be up for changing. But at 75,000 miles with the severe service of trailer towing ahead, it is time to get them changed. We're looking forward to some camping trips this summer. 

In the meantime I'm learning how to use the Rpod's appliances. I have secured the battery with a chain and lock. Also the trailer coupler is padlocked in the unlocked position. The propane bottle along with the spare tire will be stored in the garage out of sight. I'm sure these measures won't stop a determined thief. But I don't want to make it easy for someone.

Any comments would be welcomed.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 6:54am
rustler:  one thing caught my eye.  why do you have the coupler padlocked in the unlocked position?  i guess my thought would be one could still lower it on a ball (although not locked), rig something up and still drive off.  i lock mine in the down (locked) position.  just something that caught my attention.  i may be thinking about this all wrong.  hogone 
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 6:54pm
Thanks for your reply with that good point. I'll lock it in the closed position for some additional protection. I know measures such as this are not 100% foolproof. I have a friend who had a trailer stolen that had a lockable ball inserted in the connector. I've considered wrapping a chain around the Rpod axle with the other end secured to the metal frame of my carport.  I just would hope a potential thief would notice that and not try driving off with the trailer. It's not that my neighborhood is bad for theft. But with epidemic of drugs and people needing to fuel their habit, I don't want to be an easy mark.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 8:22pm
Welcome Rustler and PilotPoddler.  Question for you Pilot, did you happen to be camping at the state park in Traverse City last week?  As we drove by we saw a pod in there but didn't have time to stop in and say "hi."
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 8:26pm
As many have mentioned before me, it is always good to have more power with your TV when pulling.  Weight is one thing, wind resistance is often overlooked and when you look at the numbers, you are pushing a lot of wind by the sheer size of the front area of the pod.  Towing over relatively flat areas won't be any problem but I would want more power in my TV if I plan on towing through mountainous areas like what you will encounter out West.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>