Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDano's 179 Jeep Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dano's 179 Jeep Edition
    Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:45pm
And time passes... 10 weeks or so later and we finally get our 179 from the Dealer.  FR delays, Holiday week delays and shipping delays made this project a little frustrating.  The 179 did turn out exactly as I designed.  This is the first pic I took with the P235 Nankang Mud tires on 15" steel trailer wheels, the same wheel as the R-pod spare, and also with the optional axle riser.  I am also running the new Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch which has been very impressive so far.  It is really easy to install, easy to use and connect and it functions exactly as I wanted.  I can adjust it for the exact amount of sag on the rear of the Jeep.  Very cool product.  

So this makes me the first to build my own Hood River Edition with the new Axle clocking, but to me it's a "Jeep Edition." Big smile

I have a  24" coupler height which was right on the money for my Jeep and hitch.  Pictures of the Axle Riser, Anderson 3604 Camper Leveler and Anderson 3324 Hitch which is prefect for lifted trailers and tow vehicles, (Anderson offers an 8 inch drop\rise shank that would be better suited for some tow vehicle trailer combinations.)

Dano and Shell
2020 Imagine 2150RB \ 2019 F150 5.0
DanoJKU View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:47pm
Equipment List
  • Forest River 3.5" Axle Risers
I don't see how it would be safe to run the P235 tires without the axle risers.  Yes, there would be some fender clearance but not enough in my opinion.  It have not flexed the RPod suspension off-road to be able to offer an opinion on that, but I like the fender clearance and the frame height that the axle risers provide.
  • Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
**You need to order the unit with the correct harness for your vehicle or buy the correct harness separately**

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90195-Electronic-Brake-Control/dp/B000P17NXQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1471559192&sr=1-1&keywords=prodigy+p3+brake+controller
  • Anderson 3324 Hitch (2 inch ball, universal brackets, 4inch drop\rise)
 **You may need 8 inch drop\rise version, measure for youself**

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009V70ZP8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Anderson 3604 Camper Leveler

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GC2LVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 3 Nankang N889 Mudstar M/T LT235/75 R15 104Q C1 OWL (White Letters inboard) 
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/nankang/size/viewProductDetail.do?ra=%2Ftires%2Fnankang%2Fsize%2FviewProductResults&pc=15437&ar=75&rd=15&cs=235
  • 3 15x6 Black, Steel, 8 spoke Trailer Wheels
**I called them and asked them for a quote for 3 wheels (shipped) instead of 2.  I asked for 3 valve stems and 15 lug nuts, the OEM lug nuts should work too.  I already had chrome caps (I will paint black) but the wheels don't come with them so you can ask them if they offer them.**

http://www.ecustomrim.com/two-boat-trailer-rims-wheels-15-x-6-15x6-6-lug-hole-bolt-black-spoke-design/

• Custom Backup Cam

Tools

I keep these tools in the RPod compartment in case they are needed for adjustment or repairs.
  • 1/2" Drive Breaker Bar
  • 1/2" Drive Socket Wrench
  • 1/2" Drive Torque Wrench
  • 1/2" Drive 6-Point Socket, 1-1/8"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DKPTEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • 15/16 Socket 6 Point 1/2" Drive
  • 15/16 Wrench
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q01O126/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 1-1/8 Wrench
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q01O54U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Tire Spoon (it's not difficult to mount your own tires by hand, however, it's not easy if you don't have the feel for it.  Watch YouTube for help or take them to a shop)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J15LVS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Air Compressor required if installing the tires yourself, valve core removal kit might come in handy along with misc automotive tools.
  • Allen wrench for the Anderson hitch, see Anderson instructions download pdf.

Dano and Shell
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:49pm
Nice set up!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
DanoJKU View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 9:00pm
Thanks Leo!  We did 2 camping trips already this month and really enjoyed it. 

Now it's time to integrate a real awning and replace the RDome.  It's ok but I want something easier, faster and more attractive.

And the best mattress ever...

Dano and Shell
bjk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 9:13pm
It looks very nice!
2016 HRE R-179 "CapPODccino"
2011 F-150 SLX
kent l View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 8:52pm
Very nice set up! I pull my 2014 178 with a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that has 35 inch tires with a 2.5 inch AEV lift.  I thought about having bigger axle risers fabricated to get more ground clearance. I live in the west and have the forest river edition. I have a Lippert axle with out the new clocking. My dilemma is get a new dexter axel or get a 8 in riser fabricated. I would love to have more lift to match my jeep. I use an anderson hitch with with the largest drop. I would love more ground clearance. I think I will have some new axle risers made to get the clearance. I love the stance of your trailer.

computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 9:52pm
I happen to like the R-Dome but I see why people are frustrated with it.  After all the lift you did, does the R-Dome still go the ground?  

We found during the early summer months, the bug protection is crucial and it works well for that.  My kids have abnormal reactions to Mosquito bites so the R-Dome keeps the bugs farther from the door.  We went to Kansas and the bugs on the vent in the bath were so thick because of the fan I could wipe them off.  It was gross.

DanoJKU View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by kent l

Very nice set up! I pull my 2014 178 with a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that has 35 inch tires with a 2.5 inch AEV lift.  I thought about having bigger axle risers fabricated to get more ground clearance. I live in the west and have the forest river edition. I have a Lippert axle with out the new clocking. My dilemma is get a new dexter axel or get a 8 in riser fabricated. I would love to have more lift to match my jeep. I use an anderson hitch with with the largest drop. I would love more ground clearance. I think I will have some new axle risers made to get the clearance. I love the stance of your trailer.

Thanks!  I wouldn't mind another couple of inches of frame height but I'm thinking 32 inch tires and wondering if they will fit without hitting the fenders.  Big smile

Originally posted by computerfixitguy

I happen to like the R-Dome but I see why people are frustrated with it.  After all the lift you did, does the R-Dome still go the ground?  

We found during the early summer months, the bug protection is crucial and it works well for that.  My kids have abnormal reactions to Mosquito bites so the R-Dome keeps the bugs farther from the door.  We went to Kansas and the bugs on the vent in the bath were so thick because of the fan I could wipe them off.  It was gross.

Yikes!  But no problem reaching the ground, plenty of room to spare actually.  I hate mosquitos... I think i have at least 100 mosquito coils in the RPod, I burn 2 outside every night at camp.  It helps.
Dano and Shell
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 6:53pm
I want to be you when I grow up !  Its so cool.  Thanks for all the pictures.  I have decided to trade my '15 JKUR in for the new JL next year so I am not putting any $$ into it.  

Did adding all the weight from the tires and the lift make it drive differently?
DanoJKU View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by computerfixitguy

I want to be you when I grow up !  Its so cool.  Thanks for all the pictures.  I have decided to trade my '15 JKUR in for the new JL next year so I am not putting any $$ into it.  

Did adding all the weight from the tires and the lift make it drive differently?

Congrats on the future trade up!

My JK actually drives almost as nice as it did stock. You can tell it is a lifted offroad capable vehicle right away but it rides and floats down the road nicely for what it is. My 72 year old mom rode an hour on the highway and thought nothing of it other than climbing in with a step ladder.  LOLMy wife drives it just fine but loves her Mazda.  With front and rear solid axles, the Jeep is a purpose built machine so that in itself is a big compromise.  It's a lot like describing a lifestyle for those who never owned one.  The lift is a full suspension upgrade, 8 arms, 4 coils, 4 shocks, 4 brake lines and 2 trackbars. The key to the ride quality is my Rancho 9100 adjustable shocks. I run them in soft mode for daily driving and I turn them up to firm mode when towing. These Jeeps drive really nice with simple budget boost lifts too, I started out with one of those and I loved it. Pulling the lifted RPod seems no different than any other trailer, no sway or bounce or leaning. I hit a good balance with the equipment and set up, the Anderson is a big factor. 

Dano and Shell
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>