R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow vehicle fit for a new 178?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow vehicle fit for a new 178?
    Posted: 12 May 2016 at 10:57am
Help! I'm going to launch myself into the R-pod world and get a 2016 178. My Nissan Sentra won't quite get the job done so I'm in search of an appropriate tow vehicle. Here's the deal:
  • I don't want a truck
  • I live in the middle of downtown so want something maneuverable in the city as well; I'll likely be on the road for 1-3 months at a time, however (who knows, maybe even longer)
  • I've never towed and will be doing everyone by myself (so ease is important; and yes, female, if it matters)
  • May lease, may buy used
  • May haul a couple grandkiddos (4 and 5) from time to time, but not many more
  • Don't want to spend a s**tload of money since I'm having to take the plunge on the R-pod as well as the TV
I want to make the right choice here. Help?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:31am
Sounds like SUV would work for you. To cut the cost, look for a late-model used vehicle equipped with the factory tow package. Search for sites with information about towing capacities of the vehicle types you would be happy with. Ask.Cars.com is one I came up with with a quick search. It has some infor that might be helpful. Autobytel has a slideshow of several models which might be of interest.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:20pm
Ditto on the SUV w/factory tow package advice.  I strongly advise you to get one that is rated to tow at least 5,000 lbs.  More would be better.  In my 25 years of towing campers, I have always had vehicles that were rated for more than my campers, yet I have often found myself wishing I had more power, and have ended up upgrading my TV.

Since the R-pod has electric brakes, make sure your TV has the seven-pin connector next to the receiver in the back.  Hopefully, it will also have a plug-and-lay receptacle for the brake controller (which you will have to have).  Some pickups come with a built-in brake controller, but I'm not aware of that with any SUVs.  I may be wrong. 

You'll likely want to get some sort of sway control.  Depending on your vehicle, you may need a weight-distributing hitch.  Many WDHs have built-in sway control.  Talk to the dealer you purchase the Pod from.  They may include on in the sale price, or at least discount it and install it for you. 

As far as leasing vs. buying, I'm not a fan of leasing.  The numbers don't usually work in favor of the lessee.  I typically buy something used, often one that is only a year or so old (usually a program vehicle) that still has a few months and a few thousand miles of warranty left. 
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 2:55pm
The longer wheelbase the better.  Factory tow pkg important - don't just add a hitch to an existing vehicle.  Tow package includes such things as a real spare tire, trailer plug wired, and usually a wire for trailer brakes, maybe different shift points on the transmission , transmission cooler etc.
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Mountainrev

Ditto on the SUV w/factory tow package advice.  I strongly advise you to get one that is rated to tow at least 5,000 lbs.  More would be better.  In my 25 years of towing campers, I have always had vehicles that were rated for more than my campers, yet I have often found myself wishing I had more power, and have ended up upgrading my TV.
How do you like to GC Diesel?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 5:34pm

Well, I did a little research and found that there is only ONE vehicle on the planet that fulfills all of your requirements. This is it:

Perfect tow vehicle

I'm thinking...a trip through the car wash, 30 minutes with the Shop Vac & some Windex and you're good to go! Maybe you could skip the car wash because who can tell if it is clean or dirty?

Just kidding!

You might browse "Tow Vehicle Pictures" - in the "Introduce Yourself" topic and see if that gives you any ideas.

I echo the thought of getting something with at least a 5000lbs. tow capacity.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 6:31pm
that's a good one!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 7:26pm
Look in introduce yourself, and look at all the different tow vehicles and prods, just about every combo you can find
                   Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

julieboyles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 11:20am
Thanks so much, really helpful advice. It's only going to be a couple weeks and I'll be up and running. I laugh to myself when I see people say how they've researched/thought about it for a year or more because I can hardly plan a month ahead. Research, thinking, etc, one month and I'm on it. I've written down everything you all have helped with and I'm now more informed. Great links to those two articles as well, thanks.
outermostpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:43pm
We tow our Rpod 178 with a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (long wheel base version, not Sport). Came prewired. We did have to install the hitch. We use a Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller to solve some difficult brake wiring issues. This will be our 3rd season with this setup and everything works great. The Santa Fe is pretty good to drive w/o the camper as well, though it still is an SUV. 3 rows of seats and lots of features for the money. Engine has plenty of power for this camper. Gas mileage when not towing is around 22. We do use a WD/Sway control hitch and that works well. I have also added Sumo Springs to the rear of the Santa Fe to help with sag. I don't know if any TV is ever "perfect" there are always trade-offs, but we have found this combination pretty easy to live with. 

Based on postings here I also looked at the Nissan Pathfinder and the Jeep Grand Cherokee - but ultimately went with the Santa Fe because of the 3rd row seats (which GC did not have) and concerns about poor reliability with the GC and Nissan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>