This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric Jacks & Comprehensive Insurance - Event Date: 13 May 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Electric Jacks & Comprehensive Insurance
    Posted: 13 May 2016 at 11:20am
Hi All,
  Help!  First time R.Pod owner!  Model 179!  

Question 1:  Anybody have suggestions for an electric jack preference w/average cost?  I'm a single women (strong) but want something to make my set up easier!  

Question 2:  Comprehensive Insurance - good idea or ?

Bobbi B
Central California - San Luis Obispo
Ms. Froggie - 2016 179 R.Pod
2006 Toyota Highlander
2008 Vespa

Bobbi B
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:29pm
The Atwood jack is a good choice. Get the 3500# version, less than $200. It will definitely make life easier, especially with a weight distributing hitch. You don't say what version of the Highlander you have, but experience says you  should have a  WDH.  The Barker is also a good unit, but I'm not sure if the round mounting plate will fit Pods. Someone with current experience will jump in.

Comprehensive insurance covers physical damage such as collision, falling trees, theft, etc. Liability is covered under your auto policy. Like any other insurance, if you can afford to deal with a loss the insurance policy is not financially a good deal. If you cannot afford to repair or replace a damaged Pod, or if you expect significant damage within a short time, insurance may be worthwhile. If the Pod is new you may want to carry insurance for a few years until depreciation takes over, than drop it.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:12pm
FWIW, My comprehensive on the pod is about $125 ANNUALLY. I think that is a good deal.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:03pm
Collision and comprehensive on my 179 is $54 per year. We also added some liability coverage to the combined policy.

I went with a Jack Quick 3000 electric jack. It's too soon to tell how reliable it will be, but it made it through its first trip without any issues.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:31pm

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Pod!   

I agree that comprehensive insurance, at least for a while, is good. My main concern is hail damage. As Charlie mentions, as time goes on, the situation may be re-evaluated.

I can't help with the tongue jack. I use the "Armstrong" tongue jack.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 4:12pm
Welcome to the group!  I agree on the insurance. We are planning to add the electric tongue jack in the very near future.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by TheBum

Collision and comprehensive on my 179 is $54 per year. We also added some liability coverage to the combined policy.

I went with a Jack Quick 3000 electric jack. It's too soon to tell how reliable it will be, but it made it through its first trip without any issues.

Wow,  I might need to shop around...  I pay a little over $300 for a year for full coverage (comp, collision & liability while camping)  Liability is in case someone does something stupid and gets hurt and then try to sue me.  But that doesn't really cost much extra.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 6:15pm
 Insurance.. I just went from a stand alone Progressive policy at $243 a year to simply adding it to my AAA auto policy for an extra $26 with the same coverage.  Who knew....
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
julieboyles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 7:30pm
An electric jack may be something that I, too, need. Since I've not yet bought my 178 (researching TVs), can someone explain how this works. I'm new to trailering but like the idea of making things more manageable for a woman on her own (without a someone to do half of the work).
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 8:12pm
An electric tongue jack does the same thing as the manual version but it uses the trailer battery and does it all with the push of a button. A pretty good investment for less than $200 and an hour or so of installation. The 178 is one of the bigger/heavier RPODs so it will really help. When hooking up to the TV and using a WDH you have to raise and lower the tongue two times to couple up and two more times to uncouple. Half of those lifts you are also lifting the back end of the TV, hence the recommendation to get a jack rated at 3500#. The jack is also used to level the trailer front to back when you're setting up. I used the manual jack on our RP172 for a year, but went to the power jack when we moved to a larger trailer. Wouldn't be without it now.

BTW, if you're still considering a Highlander be sure it's the 3.5L AWD version with the factory installed tow package. The you'll have the necessary receiver, wiring, and transmission cooler. They're rated at 5000# towing vs 2000 for the smaller and non AWD versions. You'll still have to add a good brake controller.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>