R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRemoved Entire Top Bunk in 176

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removed Entire Top Bunk in 176
    Posted: 13 May 2016 at 5:11pm
The prior owner of our 2010 176 removed 1/2 of the top bunk in the front.  I was happy with this mod and the storage it provided, but I still felt like a sardine in a can when in bed.  So after 3 years I decided to to remove the rest of the upper bed and replace with "Lowes" shelving.  When I removed the base of the top bunk I was pleased that the screw holes in the front and side walls were easily repaired with colored caulk/filler.  However, the wall behind the entertainment center was a different story.  The finished wall did not cover the entire space. 

I covered this spot with a 1/2"x3" trim board that I stained (Minwax Gunstock) and varnished.  To provide a little more support I continued this around the side wall.  I bought a 48" shelf, cutting the shelf to 30 1/2 inches to fit the width of the space.  I mounted the remaining piece about 16 1/2" above the first shelf.  I had removed the lower net storage previously because of the 8" height of my memory foam mattress, but the upper one was in the way of the upper shelf.  At this point I removed the upper net storage and moved it lower - again filling the holes with colored caulk.  The end result provides just a little less storage than before, but leaves the area much more open and airy.

Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 7:21pm
Looks good! Smile

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 7:38pm
Ditto!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
HappyCampers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 12:47pm
Hello MoPod,

I listed this question earlier today in the "List your pods" thread, but I don't think it was clear that I was commenting about your post, especially since your post was two years old.  Now that I see this thread, I think that this might be a better spot for this question:  

I have a question about the fabulous drawer that you have to access the area under the bottom bunk that you shared pictures of in the "List your mods" thread approximately two years ago.  We are thinking about making a mod like this on our 176T.  Before seeing your picture, we were planning on making two drawers, in order to keep the upright braces where they are (or fairly close to where they are), for strength.  (Their current placement is 12" apart.)  

Would you mind sharing how you moved the upright cross-braces, and whatever other modifications you made in order to accommodate this wonderfully wide drawer?

Thanks!

(Moderators, sorry about the double-post.  I wasn't sure how/whether to delete it from the other thread.)
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by HappyCampers

Hello MoPod,
Would you mind sharing how you moved the upright cross-braces, and whatever other modifications you made in order to accommodate this wonderfully wide drawer?

I love my big wide drawer - room for lots of clothes.  On the right side there is room for a few bottles and on the left still lots of room, although not real easy to get to.  Struts on the bed help, but only use space behind the entertainment center to store things used infrequently.

The process we followed was to saw the top and bottom supports using a saws-all after removing trim between the beds.  Removed the screws and pried the whole section from the door to the entertainment center out.

Constructed a box frame for the drawer to ride in the same size of the opening.  As I recall the drawer sets in 3 inches from each edge.  The box frame was constructed with slightly larger dimension lumber (true 2x2) so between that and the width ways pieces in the box frame there is plenty of strength.  

Hope this info helps!
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
HappyCampers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 8:36pm
THANK YOU!  This information gave us just what we needed.

We just removed the front frame, and will be creating a replacement that will allow for inserting 6 storage cubes (3 sets across, 2 sets deep).

We will post pics when done.  In the meantime, thanks again!

MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by HappyCampers

We just removed the front frame, and will be creating a replacement that will allow for inserting 6 storage cubes (3 sets across, 2 sets deep).

Sounds like a simpler solution but just as practical!  Hope it works well for you.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply