R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReefer in Slide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reefer in Slide
    Posted: 15 May 2016 at 9:32pm
A little background on my questions (2). I bought a 2015 Fun Finder 189fds. It came with an Atwood Helium refrigerator. What a joke. Failed every single time. Always. Atwood replaced it with a new and identical unit. Failed every single time - and not always the same fail...Grrrrr...

Atwood FINALLY agreed, at their expense, to replace the fridge with a Dometic. Yay. 

My preferred camping style is dry camping. However, this fridge is a power hog. There is a small discussion about it going on under my Introduction post. Something was nagging me all day today about that fridge of mine in the slide...

That nagging came about because I notice that the fridges on the R-Pods are in the slide out. Finally got it - my understanding is that refrigerators in slides must have a fan operating in the outside vent areas in order to move the heat out to keep the unit cooling efficiently. This fan is not necessary when the fridge is vented out the roof. 

Question #1) do your fridges have fan that run off your battery bank when dry camping? 

Question #2) while trying to recall/research today the bad thing about reefers in slides, I read somewhere that 3-way reefers - for whatever reason - are big power hogs also. Is that true? While running on propane, are 3-ways more power hungry than a ac/propane only unit? 

Thanks for your input. I don't want to make another mistake like I did when I bought my new Fun Finder!! Star

ON EDIT: And by "fridge fans", I mean a fan outside, in the vented compartments that run automatically. 
2015 Fun Finder 189fds
2013 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 9:38pm
Power draw is the same whether 2-way or 3-way, for any given size of fridge.

I replied about your power issue on the other thread.  You should be able to find instructions online for disconnecting the heater, behind the light assembly.  Mine has been off for 2 years (via the factory switch) with no issues.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 9:39pm
#1 Yes, we have a pair of fans that run off the battery when dry camping.  However, don't be discouraged.  We carry a pair of 12v deep cycle batteries with us as we dry camp more than use the places that provide electric.  Our last trip, RMNP in Colorado last September we got a good 3 - 3.5 days per battery and that was running the furnace quite a bit as night temps would be around 45 degrees.  Didn't use anything during the day except the fridge as we would be gone hiking all day.  When the battery ran down to about 1/3 of full charge I change it out.  Those batteries are now beginning their 6th year of service.
#2  Don't know the answer, we have many experts here that can answer that one, I am not in that group.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by xyzhollyxyz

Question #1) do your fridges have fan that run off your battery bank when dry camping?

Yes, but they are low current computer fans and only run intermittently.

Question #2) while trying to recall/research today the bad thing about reefers in slides, I read somewhere that 3-way reefers - for whatever reason - are big power hogs also. Is that true? While running on propane, are 3-ways more power hungry than a ac/propane only unit?

The three ways are battery killers, but only when running totally on 12V DC. On propane the draw much less, but the double door models do have the "climate control" frame heater. See my and Techntrek's posts.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 9:58pm
The refrigerator when running on 12 volts DC draws 11 amps, also there are 2 temperature controlled cooling fans that draw .32 amps each and come on when it gets warm outside. The refrigerator on propane draws .13 amps DC to run the controls, plus .64 amps when the 2 cooling fans are running. When running on 120 volts AC it takes 1.2 amps of AC plus the .13 amps DC and .64 amps when the fans are on.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
xyzhollyxyz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by JandL

The refrigerator when running on 12 volts DC draws 11 amps, also there are 2 temperature controlled cooling fans that draw .32 amps each and come on when it gets warm outside. The refrigerator on propane draws .13 amps DC to run the controls, plus .64 amps when the 2 cooling fans are running. When running on 120 volts AC it takes 1.2 amps of AC plus the .13 amps DC and .64 amps when the fans are on.

WOW! That's exactly what I've been looking for!! 

1) are you referring to the specific Dometic model I mentioned, or the fridges that are in R-Pods?

2) why do you know this? Were you born a genius? Star

So, about 3/4 of an amp WHEN the fans are running. Good to know. No, GREAT to know. 

THANK YOU all. 

Now, I gotta get me some R-Pod...this is a wonderful gang. Wish me luck in Memphis tomorrow! Ugh on the long drive, though! 
2015 Fun Finder 189fds
2013 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 11:02pm
In my 2012 I have a Dometic Model RM 8501. I got some of them information from the Technical Data section from the manufactures literature and some I did from direct current measurements
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply