R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Panel
    Posted: 17 May 2016 at 1:46pm
We were wondering if the Solar Panel is worth the extra $. 
We have a new 179 and did not purchase the panel, but are thinking about it.
How does it work for those that have used it?
Thanks
New R-pod owner
FrankieP
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:07pm
Will you camp off grid? will you be out for more then 3-5 days? Will you need a/c or the microwave while camping of grid?
frankie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 6:33pm
We will camp off-grid at times, tho probably not a lot. We really don't want to buy a generator and thought the solar panel would be much more environmentally friendly. 
FrankieP
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 7:13pm
A single 100 watt panel does a very good job of charging up your battery. Here is the link to my solar installation. I will have to update it because I have two 100 watt panels now. I got my second panel for $100. A solar panel is a lot lighter than a generator and quite, but you do need access to the sun

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=842&PN=39&title=list-your-mods
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 10:12pm
Will you camp in the shade?  Solar can't be even a little bit shaded.  If you will be off-grid occasionally for a weekend each time, you'll be fine with just your battery.  Assuming you don't need A/C or the microwave.  If you need them you have no choice but to use a generator, period.  And you can only use a genset overnight at truck stops, Wal-marts, and very remote campsites in the West.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 10:53pm
I am a very big believer in solar power.  Yes, initial installation is a bit more expensive than a generator, but it is silent.  Sure, it doesn't do well in the shade and several cloudy days in a row can be a problem.  However, energy needs on the Pod are very minimal.  We have 2 140 watt panels (probably overkill) and 2 6v golf cart batteries for storage.  You can find info on our installation at https://www.facebook.com/groups/56931970807/files/ .  We boondock a lot and have never had a problem.  granted, we can't use the A/C or the oven, but we're "camping" right?
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:15pm
In the 2 years I have camped in my trailer the only places I had a shade problem is in the Redwood and at Big Sur. If I had not made advanced reservation for a camp site I could have found ones that had some sun for part of the day.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
frankie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:31pm
Thanks everyone for the prompt responses regarding the solar panel. Much to think about. We are from Minnesota so even though it gets cold here, we do get a fair amount of sun.  If anyone gets to MN check out Grand Marais. There is a great campground by the town and many of the campsites are on or have views of Lake Superior. Sweet little town, nice campground. 
FrankieP
Marco T View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:44pm
I picked up an 'open-box special' solar kit from Princess Auto a couple of months ago for $187 (regular $350+) and I've been plugging it into my 176t every few weeks to top up the battery when it hits 10.5V-11V.  I am very pleased with my purchase.  It doesn't have the best solar charge controller, but it does OK.  The best thing about it is it's four 18W panels and they are only a foot wide so they fit nicely into the pass-through storage.

The system charges my group 24 battery to the top level in an afternoon if it's sunny.  I picked up two larger reconditioned sealed batteries (TEL12-90 - 12 volt 88Ah - VRLA Battery series for Telecom Power Applications) today - they are 4 years into a 10 year lifecycle but I only paid $80 each.  I had to get creative mounting both batteries since they fit in group 27 battery boxes, but they are on there solidly.  In hindsight I could have mounted them on end, but the boxes wouldn't protect the batteries as well.  Either way, I'm going from 64Ah to 176Ah, which I don't see us stressing this year with any of our planned trips.

I'm not too worried about shade, I have some flexibility on where I mount the panels so I should be able to find sun most places we go.

First test run this weekend up to the family cabin!  Tonight was de-winterize the rpod night - my first time.  Everything looks good so far!
The Tri-podders
2011 Dodge Durango Citadel - 5.7L Hemi
2015 R-pod 176T
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:56pm
Think of solar panel(s) as slow battery chargers that only work if it is sunny.
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>