R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedslide paranoia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: slide paranoia
    Posted: 24 May 2016 at 2:20pm
We are camping with just the battery for two nights this weekend.  I upgraded to a slightly bigger battery (group size 27).  My fear is that we will run out of battery and not be able to put the slide in.  Will plugging it into our car do the trick?  I guess worst case scenario we drive with it open some place very close, ideally on the campground, and plug it in?  Any advice?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 3:15pm
Carry a set of jumper cables when boondocking. In case of emergency, "jump" your battery. Jumper cables can move a lot of amps quickly.

EDIT: we did 3 days on the group 24 once. Conserve amps.
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 3:32pm
If the issue is concern over packing up at the end of the weekend and having the slideout stuck out, all you would have to do is hitch up and connect the 7-way plug to your tow vehicle in order to slide it in.  If you're done camping, you wouldn't have to wait for your battery to recharge with jumper cables.  Plug and play, and you're on your way.  (That's got a ring to it, doesn't it?)
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Mountainrev

If the issue is concern over packing up at the end of the weekend and having the slideout stuck out, all you would have to do is hitch up and connect the 7-way plug to your tow vehicle in order to slide it in.  If you're done camping, you wouldn't have to wait for your battery to recharge with jumper cables.  Plug and play, and you're on your way.  (That's got a ring to it, doesn't it?)

Not knowing what tow vehicle they have, we don't know if it's charging the pod or not.. We know the jumper cables will send enough current.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 6:59pm
Good point.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 10:56pm
You don't mention what type of slide you have. Schwintek or the Lippert over the floor type. You may or may not be able overcome a low battery / slide problem by plugging into your tow vehicle. If it is set-up properly, you should be able to plug in, start your TV, and have the power you need to draw the slide in.  However, keep in mind the minute you do plug in with a dead camper battery, your TV alternator is going to get slammed right away with the charge draw by the POD dead battery. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 5:12am
There is always the option of operating the slide out manually.
rvshopping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 11:13am
I'm not sure which type of slide we have.  Our pod is a 2017 176T.  Our TV is a nissan pathfinder and we have the 7 way plug.  We'll bring jumper cables in case plugging it in to the car isn't working for some reason.  I guess in the first year there is lots of "finding out" this stuff--I'm trying to prevent finding out the hard way :o)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by rvshopping

I'm not sure which type of slide we have.  Our pod is a 2017 176T.  Our TV is a nissan pathfinder and we have the 7 way plug.  We'll bring jumper cables in case plugging it in to the car isn't working for some reason.  I guess in the first year there is lots of "finding out" this stuff--I'm trying to prevent finding out the hard way :o)

Nothing wrong with that.. it's how you handle the finding out the hard way that matters..  Wink

I believe all 2017's have a Scwintek slide. Manually operating that slide isn't easy, well, neither is the other style, but the S-tek is worse.

Video link..
rvshopping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:30pm
Great!  I will watch that, too.  Then we'll have nothing to worry about, maybe.  Except for the 90 degree temps and no power other than the battery :o)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>