R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to stop up bathroom floor drain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to stop up bathroom floor drain
    Posted: 25 May 2016 at 1:31pm
My wife, our one year old daughter, and me are about to go on a month long trip with our Pod to California and Oregon.  We plan to drive about 4,000 miles and will visit Yosemite (we scored a campsite down in the valley! Big smile), Kings Canyon, Redwoods, Sequoia, and the coast.

Here's our problem.  Our daughter bathes in a removable baby tub that normally rests inside a full sized tub.  It would be a bit bulky to take with us on the trip, but we're thinking that if we could stop up the sink in the bathroom floor of the Pod, that would give her a couple of inches of water to splash around in and for us to bathe her.

So has anyone discovered an easy way to stop up the drain?  I'm not sure if I should just remove the grate and get a plug that will stick in.  My wife has found drain covers that lay flat, but I'm not sure how secure they will be.  Any ideas?
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 1:52pm
I would not attempt to use the 177 Wet Bath as a Bathtub. The seams are "water resistant", not "waterproof".
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Retroactive

I would not attempt to use the 177 Wet Bath as a Bathtub. The seams are "water resistant", not "waterproof".

We only want to put a couple of inches of water in there for no more than a few minutes at a time.  Do your really think that will make it leak?  It's a shower after all.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 3:51pm
I would go to Google or Amazon and search for collapseable - folding camping sink. The come round and square
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 8:13pm
You'll have to check to see if it works, but how about just putting a square of Glad Press n Seal over the drain?  The stuff works amazingly well with minimal contact area and leaves no residue when you remove it.

By amazingly well, I mean: take a red solo cup, fill it with water to within 3/4" of the brim.  Take a square of Press n seal and cover the cup, sealing it only 1 1/2" down/around the neck (and cut off the rest).  You can turn the cup upside down, shake it, toss it in the air and catch it and it won't leak a drop.

And, yes, the shower pan itself is waterproof.  Putting a couple inches of water in it isn't going to cause any trouble.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 8:56pm
I took out the original cover and replaced it with a mesh strainer my wife picked up the at Dollar Tree, they came as a set of 2, the other one is in the kitchen sink. The drain is 1 ¾” diameter so you can pick up a rubber sink stopper/plug to seal it

JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 9:29pm
I agree a few inches won't be a problem.  Happens all the time when the gray tank fills up in the middle of a shower.  Is the drain on yours not a standard round one that can take a standard rubber stopper?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Outbound

You'll have to check to see if it works, but how about just putting a square of Glad Press n Seal over the drain?  The stuff works amazingly well with minimal contact area and leaves no residue when you remove it.

By amazingly well, I mean: take a red solo cup, fill it with water to within 3/4" of the brim.  Take a square of Press n seal and cover the cup, sealing it only 1 1/2" down/around the neck (and cut off the rest).  You can turn the cup upside down, shake it, toss it in the air and catch it and it won't leak a drop.

And, yes, the shower pan itself is waterproof.  Putting a couple inches of water in it isn't going to cause any trouble.

That's an awesome idea!  I had forgot about how useful that stuff can be.  We'll definitely do that.  Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by techntrek

I agree a few inches won't be a problem.  Happens all the time when the gray tank fills up in the middle of a shower.  Is the drain on yours not a standard round one that can take a standard rubber stopper?

It's not sunken in like the kitchen sink drain, so an ordinary rubber stopper won't work.  My wife had found a rubber stop that seals on top of the drain, but I think that the Press 'n Seal is an even easier solution, and we can use it for other purposes as well.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 10:45pm
All you need is a Charles Viancin lily pad lid in the shower pan. It's what we use for Bob. Bob is our 30 year old turtle and likes to hang out in a few inches of water...with a plastic palm tree. These are great for leftovers in the fridge too!

http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Viancin-Lilypad-Lid-Set/dp/B00PRLC2VM/

fred

P.S. Really! This is Bob! We had a portrait done a few years ago.

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 9:19am
OK, I stand corrected, the turtle knows best! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>