R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCarbon / Propane Detector Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbon / Propane Detector Problem
    Posted: 29 May 2016 at 12:33pm
Bought a used 2016 RP 178 yesterday, it started beeping just as we were leaving the previous owners house, and beeped all the way home.  Only way I could get it to stop was to disconnect the battery power to RV completely.  

Upon closer inspection I see that it is greasy and stained on it, and below it on the wall.  The grease / lube doesn´t seem to be inside the wall though.  Hoping it is just a bad alarm / detector.

Any one else have this issue?  Any recommendations, thinking maybe just cut this one out and buy one at Lowes or Home Depot that is 9V power and installing that in the same place so it doesn´t continuously drain the battery when the RV is not plugged into 120V power.

ANY FEEDBACK WELCOME !!!  Totally new to this whole thing and feeling a bit nervous about it all.

Lori
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 2:21pm
Propane gas detectors, like most “sensor” type devices, have a limited life span and the manufacture’s recommend replacing them every 5 years. Smoke alarms have a manufacture recommended 10 year replacement. I replace mine sooner than 10 years because the trailer is a differ environment than a house. Your house doesn’t go bouncing down the highway nor see as much dust. In California all co2 and smoke alarms come with permanent battery's with no way to replace them other than by a new detector
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 3:47pm
We had our detector for our 2015 179 go two months after we bought it new. Snipped it out, got one from our dealer under warranty and installed it in about 15 minutes, been good since.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 7:14pm
Welcome.  The one you describe is the LP detector and there isn't one that works from small batteries.  It works by heating a fine wire and that uses too much power.  Even leaving the pod's big battery connected (w/o the pod plugged into your house), it will drain it in less than 2 weeks (the fridge circuitry contributes to this but to a lesser degree).  I replaced the LP detector on my current camper and it is a very easy job.

However, what you may have been hearing from the LP detector is the low-voltage alarm.  With the pod not plugged in, what voltage do you read from the battery?  If it isn't 12.7 volts it is likely a problem with the battery and not the alarm.  Not all tow vehicles have the +12 charge line connected, which would have stopped the low-voltage alarm while you were on the road.

Not sure why it would be greasy, unless the previous owner was working on something else, like greasing the bearings, and happened to mess around with it because it was beeping for them, too.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
myownskin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 12:59pm
It is a combo detector in an 2016 RP 178, both carbon monoxide and propane. If the propane part of the detector runs the pod battery down is there something else that people recommend.   Ideally your battery wouldn't be dead every two weeks?

The sellet's charged up the battery before we got there as they thought that was the issue as well.   But even with a full charge it was sounding off.

Guess I probably need to give a dealership a call see of I cannot get it replaced.

Lori
 Post Reply Post Reply