Topic ClosedWhat I think my 179 needs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What I think my 179 needs
    Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 7:12am
The only antenna connection I saw on mine when I removed it (4 square-drive screws) is the one for the TV antenna. What is television reception like? If that is also bad, the antenna connection may have become unplugged.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Mojave1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 12:47pm
TV works fine. I'm an amateur radio operator who's roots go back to listening to radio wave skip while camping (as a kid). Sometimes, in the evening I like to spin the AM dial and see what's coming in. 

Inside the R-Pod, I think because it has an aluminum structure, AM radio reception is horrible. Similarly, I've noticed that radio waves are muted in buildings with metal beams. Cell services, because they are at much higher frequencies (shorter wave) don't seem affected. 

I've many shortwave and Ham radios. I've other radios in the R-pod without success. Putting a radio in the window, helps reception.

Since this is a wish list, I wish the R-Pod had a radio antenna. I wish that my AM radio worked. I wish that my FM radio reception is better. My previous trailer had a radio antenna. 

It would be unusual if the TV antenna was a radio antenna. If your AM radio works great, I'd like to hear about it.
2017 179 R-pod
Mojave1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 1:13pm
"These may be nice, but what trade-offs would you be willing to accept in exchange? For example, would you be willing to sacrifice the convection-microwave in order to have space for a larger refrigerator? Would you be willing to sacrifice the pantry and/or the wardrobe for a larger wet bath?"

Prior trailer, 16 foot, had a Norcold Refrigerator that was much more usable. Empirically, the difference was in depth. Regarding the wet bath, perhaps the space can be found near the doorway. The wet baths in some campers are amazing! They have less space. I'd look there for further inspiration.

"As for the pedestal table, it might be nice, but it would require modifications to the seats to have a lip to hold it in place when lowered to make it into a bed. The current thin back cushion is because the table is higher and to get a level top, the back cushion needs to be thinner. "

The cushion that goes against the wall. The one that supports your back when you lean back needs to be thicker. My back goes into the curtains and window hardware when I lean back. 

My wife and I use the R-pod as a couples coach. We won't ask any others to spend the night with us in the trailer. You make a good point about the table couch becoming a bed. We don't want that. We want a comfortable place to relax. A great "option" would be comfortable couples couch and single pedestal table that doesn't turn into a bed.

"The paint on the frame could be better. There are places where it was evident that it was supported while being painted. These support places were never painted after the supports were removed. I have been under my 179 with a wire brush and a can of spray paint to address these places."

I've been touching up rust on the R-pod. The paint on the frame is thin. In spots I can see through it. Inside channels, where I can't reach with a paint can, there's rust and no paint. 

As a side note, my truck is a 1994. I'm the original owner. Chevrolet didn't paint the frame in the normal sense. It came with a thick oily waxy substance applied (which worked fine). Over the years that came off. I've spent lots of time removing dirt, wax, oil, and rust from that frame. At this point, it's looks very good. My experience, Rustoleum is (thin because it's in a spray can) a good paint. But, it requires several coats to maintain durability. My R-pod frame looks like a single coat of thin paint.

2017 179 R-pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123