R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator
    Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 7:45pm
How about those powerhouse black generators that camping world sells?  A lot of power for cheap price?
Ron Rowland
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 9:34pm
Looks like this one is the biggest one of that brand.  Good that it is the inverter-generator type (saves gas and is quieter).  It won't be as quiet as a Yamaha or Honda, but much cheaper.  It should start the A/C if it lives up to its rating.  

You will be able to run one of the "big 3" appliances at a time, but it wasn't a big deal when we had a similar-sized generator (Yamaha 2400 watt inverter-generator).  A/C, microwave, and the electric element in the water heater.  You'll want to use the gas mode for the water heater when off-grid so that is a non-issue.  You'll only use the microwave for a short time so it won't get too warm with the A/C temporarily off.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
borjon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 5:05pm
When you ran the A/C on your Yamaha 2400 did the overload light come on? I tried to run the A/C on our 179 using the 2400 and the light came on. No other electric appliance was on at the time. Thanks for any help you can give me.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 5:36pm
We've decided to sell our Ryobis and get a couple of Honda 2000s (one regular, one Companion). The Ryobis have too many quirks that have weakened my faith in them as an RV power solution. Hondas, on the other hand, have been bulletproof in my experience. I found a package online that includes the generators, covers, parallel cable, and three heavy duty extension cords for just shy of $2100.
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 5:44pm
While we are talking generators as I stay at more NP/State campgrounds (which often means no electric hookup) I'm finding that I know people how smoke feel. While they tolerate generators they are not happy about them. In Vermont the rules say that generators may be used only during non-quiet hours,7am-10pm and at the discretion of the park ranger. When you ask the ranger they will tell you 8-10am and 4-6pm which is fine that's all I need to top off my batteries in most cases. Then they say you may not be allowed to use it at all depending. I was unable to get answer on depending on what? 

I understand the frustration of people tenting and will probably buy a Zamp or other solar charger but the mean time if you see my 179 parked 25' outside the Vermont State Park gate be sure to wave as you go by.Wink
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by borjon

When you ran the A/C on your Yamaha 2400 did the overload light come on? I tried to run the A/C on our 179 using the 2400 and the light came on. No other electric appliance was on at the time. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Welcome.  No, we didn't have a problem, but its possible you could have a problem at higher altitudes since you have less power available.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 9:13pm
I have no problem with vibration, My generator is suspended.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by borjon

We too have the Yamaha 2400.  This sequence may help.  First, turn the fan on and let it run for a minute or so on high.  Then, change the setting to cool.  Our fan briefly stops when the condenser turns on, but then the generator ramps up and the AC runs fine.

If this doesn't work, you may want to turn off the breakers going to your microwave and converter.  The latter, in particular, may draw quite a bit of wattage, especially if the batteries are drained and being recharged.

As Techntrek noted, at high elevation, your generator's output will be reduced.  High temps, over 100 F, also increase the wattage necessary to start the condenser.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
borjon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 3:48pm
I thank you for the welcome. We just bought 2016 R-Pod 179 seven days ago. Before that we had a popup. Loved the popup, but now we are getting to old to set the thing up without having shoulder pain the next day plus it didn't have A/C. We are at 1053 feet. Is that high enough to make a difference?
borjon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 4:00pm
I set the fan selection for a minute, but I couldn't hear anything moving. (I think our A/C is different since I don't see any choices in speed. It just has a control switch that says Fan/Cool/Heat/Off. Is the fan switch located somewhere on the A/C unit its self?) Then switched to cool. I heard a beep coming from the breaker box. The generator's overload light came on then it went out. Is that normal? A/C then ran just fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>