Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed178 Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 178 Questions
    Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 10:02pm
Have had my new 2016 Rpod 178 out on a couple of trial runs and have a couple of questions.  Have tried to contact my dealer but somehow when you leave the lot so does customer service so am turning to my trusty and experienced fellow Rpoders.  Here are the questions:

1.  Once i fill the fresh water tank and get to the campsite do I pressurize the fresh water tank and leave the switch on or turn it off then only repressurize when pressure appears low?  Does this matter whether I am on battery or shore power??

2.  Once the fresh water tank is filled and am at the campsite do I turn on the water heater and leave it on?  Does it matter if I am on battery or shore power (or is the water heater propane)??

3.  Somewhere I read in a thread that once the water heater is full you can add more fresh water thus increasing your fresh water supply.  Is this done simply by pressurizing the fresh water tank and turning on the water heater??

Sorry for the stupid questions but somehow these points didn't register in the dealer data dump when I picked up the Rpod.

As a last point - on my last outing I finally used the refrigerator.  When I took it to my storage place I left the refrigerator door ajar so it would dry out and not mold.  Went to the unit today and the battery was dead.  Must be a light in the refrigerator that I missed and it drained the battery.  Plan on bringing the unit to the house tomorrow and hook up to an extension cord from the house to recharge the battery.  Any problems with that??

As always appreciate the help.  Us newbies need all we can get.Smile
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Tetoncamper

Have had my new 2016 Rpod 178 out on a couple of trial runs and have a couple of questions.  Have tried to contact my dealer but somehow when you leave the lot so does customer service Are you surprised? so am turning to my trusty and experienced fellow Rpoders.  Here are the questions:

1.  Once i fill the fresh water tank and get to the campsite do I pressurize the fresh water tank and leave the switch on or turn it off then only repressurize when pressure appears low?  Does this matter whether I am on battery or shore power?? The pump does not pressurize the tank. It only pressurizes the hot and cold water piping inside the Pod. The pump can be left on, or turned off at your option. If you leave it on it may cycle occasionally to maintain pressure. No difference on battery or shore power.

2.  Once the fresh water tank is filled and am at the campsite do I turn on the water heater and leave it on?  Does it matter if I am on battery or shore power (or is the water heater propane)?? The WH can be left on. It will run on electric if on shore power, gas if not. It can be run on both to reduce recovery time if on shore power.

3.  Somewhere I read in a thread that once the water heater is full you can add more fresh water thus increasing your fresh water supply.  Is this done simply by pressurizing the fresh water tank and turning on the water heater?? You should fill the WH once by turning on the pump and running a HW faucet until it flows without spitting, then top off the FW tank. From then on the WH will remain filled until you intentionally empty it for winterization. It can remain filled at home between trips, but check it each time before turning on the electric element.

Sorry for the stupid questions but somehow these points didn't register in the dealer data dump when I picked up the Rpod.

As a last point - on my last outing I finally used the refrigerator.  When I took it to my storage place I left the refrigerator door ajar so it would dry out and not mold.  Went to the unit today and the battery was dead.  Must be a light in the refrigerator that I missed and it drained the battery.  Plan on bringing the unit to the house tomorrow and hook up to an extension cord from the house to recharge the battery.  Any problems with that?? In storage you should turn the fridge OFF. This turns off the control and the light and eliminates the current draw. However, the propane/CO detector will draw ~0.1A which will deplete the battery in a few weeks. If leaving the camper unattended in storage you should disconnect one battery lead. Plug in overnight at home.

As always appreciate the help.  Us newbies need all we can get.Smile
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 10:50pm
On the last point, if you know you are going to be leaving it in storage for extended periods, then put in a battery switch. It is the equivalent of taking off a battery lead, but you won't need a wrench to do so. There is a picture of the switch in my mods. I installed it in the lid of one of my 6V battery boxes. There are several different types, but I got one that does not need a key and is supposed to be waterproof.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 4:05pm
+1

And no such thing as dumb questions here.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply