R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStorage Recommendations - Event Date: 02 Jun 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Storage Recommendations
    Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 10:22pm
My wife and I have a 2010 R Pod 172.  Our floor plan is that we have bunk beds on one end and a convertible table/bed on the other end.  We have only had the pod about 6 months but have been camping about 5 times now and we really like the pod with one exception.  We usually carry our 2 grandsons with us and I am seeking advice on what some of you podders do about inside storage.  Now, i sleep on the bottom bunk with my 3 year old grandson and my wife sleeps on  the convertible table with my 7 year old grandson.  We now use the top bunk for storage of book bags, small suitcases, overnight bags, books, portable dvd player, etc.  In other words, the top bunk is full of our "stuff".  Has anyone out there been real creative and devised some storage options.  Ideally, we would like to put the 2 grandsons on the convertible table, I would sleep on the top bunk and my wife would sleep on the top bunk, but, then what would we do about storing our "stuff" that we need ready access to.  My wife and I certainly love each other very much, but sleeping 2 grown adults on the bottom bunk just does not work for us.  We each move around quite a bit and just do not find it comfortable.  Any advice on storage options will be greatly appreciated.
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:06am
On submarines, there is a storage compartment underneath the mattress.
COSPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 11:41am
We have 172 with 2 sons, going on year/summer #3 (though last year was mostly a bust due to bad scheduling conflicts all summer). Here's what we've done for storage. Note we sleep on rear bed, which is basically permanently a bed, we always eat outside.  We've found the best rule is more or less stay outside as much as possible (which is why we camp anyways).

1) the ends of the bunks, near the door, are "storage", usually bags with clothes. Our oldest is getting to the point (height really) we may lose his bunk, but youngest has several years before he takes the fully bunk. So that's a couple spots

2) we have lots of hanging storage "pockets", 1 we bought, several the wife made out of some kind of nylon material (reminds me a bit of the folding chair material, but thicker). These are attached in several places:

-big one on the bathroom door. This one wife bought somewhere, it has about 16 pockets and is almost full door size, so tons of little holders there. 
-1 each for the ends of the 2 boys bunks, these are probably 2 foot wide, 8-10 inches deep, they hold books, water bottles, games, etc etc (rocks, sticks... little boy stuff).
-1 above the kitchen counter, it's about as wide as the counter and maybe foot deep
-1 in each of the very back corners above teh fold out bed (we keep the bed setup full time), these basically hold wallet, phone, keys, rings, pretty small, maybe small paperback sized
-1 1 above the bed by fridge where TV is installed (we removed that.. there's no TV while camping ;-) )

Under the bottom bunk is dirty laundry and travel storage. It's a pain to get to while in camp so we don't store much there at all.

Kitchen stuff is in bin outside the camper when possible (bear conditions permitting) or in Tow Vehicle.
Food is above the microwave and/or in Tow Vehicle (Tahoe, so we have lots of storage space in back)

It's taken many trips to get things sorted out this much, and still fine tuning. The pods are great, but storage is probably the major/biggest weakness. On the plus side it keeps us from taking a bunk of crap we don't need. We also usually take bikes on roof of TV, but if not we have a roof storage carrier that also gives a decent amount of storage (though not super accessible due to hieht). 
COSPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 11:43am
Oh.. and the microwave is sometimes used for clothing storage.. we only have hookups about 50% of the time at best.. and we rarely use it even when we do.
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 12:25pm
We have a 2011 172 we have more storage than we need.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 4:29pm
Glad someone mentioned the microwave, we used it to store things, too.  You only use it for a few minutes even when you do need it so whatever is in it can go on the bed.  We often put bread in there so it wouldn't get squished.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 4:05am
For the most part we will be camping at locations with shower and toilet facilities. So we are making provision for a coat-hanger rod in the shower/toilet so that can be used as a closet. If we ever do boondocks camping the toilet could be put to use. But until then I'll only be dumping grey water, no black water.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
ron/roscoe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 4:41pm
Our pod 178 2016 model has a folding closet rod in the bedroom, lots of clothes can be hung  there.
Ron Rowland
 Post Reply Post Reply