Topic ClosedOur next big adventure - West Coast

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our next big adventure - West Coast
    Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 9:38pm
The Museum of the USAF was great, a very extensive collection.  I didn't realize there were so many aircraft models over the years.  I was happy to see the Apollo 15 capsule there, and it was sobering to see Bockscar, the plane that dropped the 2nd atomic bomb (we've seen the Enola Gay in DC so this completed the "pairing").  They just opened up a new hangar a few weeks ago so we were fortunate to see that.

Today we traveled to Marengo Cave.  Not as extensive or as many growths as Carlsbad or Mammoth Cave, but not bad.  A bit expensive, though (privately owned).  We are stopped for the night halfway to St. Louis, but we arrived at the campground an hour late because we received a Tornado Warning earlier.  After a quick look at NOAA's radar/warning map I realized it was directly ahead of us on I-64.  I had just filled up with gas so we hung around there as the Tornado Warning transitioned to a Severe Thunderstorm Warning, and with the winds whipping light poles and trees around there was no way I was going to pull my trailer through that.  So we sat and enjoyed the show - and we weren't the only ones, the parking lot quickly filled up with sensible people.

Tomorrow will be the Arch and more driving.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 10:14pm
be careful driving through the Flint hills in KS the wind can be tricky at times. also remember eastern KS about 900ft above sea level  Denver is a mile high.   up hill all the way. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 12:14am
Hello from El Dorado State Park in Kansas.  We did the Arch tour yesterday and then headed to Lake of the Ozarks State Park.  Today we traveled along US 54 through the steep rolling hills of Missouri and into the plains of Kansas.  I did see signs for Flint Hills on the way here - I encountered winds most of the day but my current setup with the WDH and radial tires made it fairly easy to handle.  Tomorrow we plan to go into Wichita for the day and then come back to El Dorado.
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 9:12am
after you get done in Wichita head west to Dodge then north to Scott state park  park  just need some care  just outside of the park is the site of the last Indian battle in Ks also monument  Rock  then north and back on I-70 take a left and on to Co.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 1:00am
Now in a rest stop in AZ 2 or so hours from the Grand Canyon, where we will be starting tomorrow mid-day.  Limited connection so I won't get to catch up on other's posts on the forum.  I bumped into another podder couple today in Tucamacari, NM.  Lots of driving over the last 2 days.  Went through Greensburg, KS where the EF5 tornado wiped out the town in 2007 and was featured on Discovery as they rebuilt (all green).  Hit 108 F yesterday, I've had to cut my speed in the afternoon the last 2 days to manage engine temps.  Got an oil change today so at least I'm working with fresh oil over the mountain passes.  Enjoying the changing scenery from prairie to mesas!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 8:22am
Sounds like a great time!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 2:42pm
Is techntrek D.B. Cooper? Last we heard he was heading for the mountains. Is he Waldo? Where in the world is techntrek?

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 3:13pm
as we used to say "he's in the wind"
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 3:12am
I'm back, briefly!  We've either had a bad cell connection or have been too busy (or tired) to get online lately.  I have been taking care of account approvals when I can from my phone, like on one of the shuttle buses at the Grand Canyon when I had service near the Village (no service at the campground).

So we had a great day and a half to explore the Canyon.  We were there 2 years ago but since we were driving by anyway we dropped in again.  We took the shuttle buses to the western and eastern loops which we didn't see last time.  The western (red) section is the best part IMO.  Hope to finally get to the northern rim next time, probably years from now.  Then we moved on to Lake Mead and Hoover Dam.  I toured the dam back in '86 and things were different this time, partly because of 9/11.  But we still got to see one of the bypass tunnels and one of the power houses where the big turbines are.  The view from our campsite of the lake was incredible, a shame we were barely there since we also spent the evening in Las Vegas (didn't put a dime into a slot, amazingly - when I was there in '86 I won $20 in a nickel slot but then my family got kicked out since I was 14 at the time...).  Must get back there some day to enjoy the view.  Next up was Disneyland yesterday.  I've been to Disneyworld several times, and we all went in '08, and my wife went during a conference last year, so we are familiar with the east coast park.  Disneyland felt smaller than the Magic Kingdom, and Downtown Disney is definitely smaller.  We liked it.  I'm no big fan of the Mousedom with the high ticket prices and overpriced food, but that said we all felt it was a nicer version compared to Orlando.  I especially liked the Star Wars additions to Tomorrowland.  Today we did a whirlwind tour of LA including seeing the Endeavour space shuttle (we've now seen 2 of the 3 space-flown shuttles and the test shuttle Enterprise), the only external shuttle tank left, one Apollo/Mercury/Gemini capsule each, a great Mexican restaurant, the Hollywood sign, steep windy roads through Hollywood Hills neighborhoods (not easy in a Suburban with a 3-foot extension on the front), a drive-through of the Walk of Fame and Beverly Hills and Marina Del Ray.  Glad I wasn't driving because the drivers in LA are worse than the east coasters...  And finally I completed a 30-year quest to finally see and touch the Pacific Ocean!  When my parents and I toured the US in '86 we came within a day's drive of the coast but didn't have the time to make it to the coast.  We were just in the Atlantic Ocean about 7 weeks ago so nice to put my feet in the sand on the other side now.  Didn't like the part of Venice Beach we went to, though.  Maybe it is nicer farther north?

I've seen multiple pods lately, but haven't had the time to knock on any doors.  Saw 2 at the Grand Canyon (one was the same one we saw in Tucamacari NM), and one here in Anaheim.

Off tomorrow to Sequoia National Park.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 3:40pm
Left you a PM.  What time and date are you arriving here in Portland?  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>