R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWill offset swivel jacks bend the frame?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will offset swivel jacks bend the frame?
    Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 9:42pm
So we recently bought our 2010 R-Pod 171. The first time out, the tongue jack wouldn't work which I guess is a fairly common thing to happen. I thought I would go with a swivel jack but upon further inspection, it looks like it will have to be on one side (obviously) and a little further back than I would like (immediately behind the first cross beam, about 12 inches down from the hitch). I can't put it any further up as it will come into conflict with the propane tank mount. My question is whether I should get another one and put it on the opposite side or whether the welding is good enough for it to handle the slightly off center resting position.

Any help or insight is much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Jay
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 7:03am
Hello from San Antonio!

I'm not so sure a tongue is so common, I've never heard of such a thing, but of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. 

My 2ยข ? I would not mess with a swivel jack, but would replace it with one just like it. They are cheap, common, and easy to find. Maybe consider upgrading to an electric? 

Check your local Tractor Supply, Norther or Harbor Freight Tools, or Etrailer on-line. 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 9:48am
I agree with Podster. the best idea is to replace the existing tongue jack with a similar unit.  It is a simple job-just 3 bolts to loosen.  I had to replace mine once while on a trip.  The consideration is to match the bolt hole locations-they are fairly universal. It is easiest to replace the jack while the pod is still attached to the tv.

Some people use an electric model.  It runs off of the 12 volt battery, weighs about 15 pounds(added to the tongue weight), and costs between $150-225.  Personally, I don't like the electric units because we like to boondock and I don't want to use the battery power. So far, my arm still works ok.

Make sure the trailer wheels are blocked before you disconnect from the tv-if the trailer rolls a little, that can be the cause of a bent tongue jack if it is fully extended. You can imagine how I know this!

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 12:56pm
I agree with Podster! We  are planning on replacing ours with an electric model.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
JwarCO View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 2:43pm
I should clarify, my tow vehicle is pretty low, so I wanted to shed that low clearance spot with the jack. I also did some digging and, of course, I found some of the answers on this very forum.

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1300&PN=2&title=tongue-jack

It appears the frames are plenty strong enough to deal with the offset weight. Thank you all for your contributions and replies!
Sincerely,
Jay
 Post Reply Post Reply