R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntermittent "Check Engine" light when towing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intermittent "Check Engine" light when towing
    Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 12:06am
Future R-Pod owner here. We've been renting an RP-171 for the past 2-1/2 weeks, doing a grand tour of Oregon coast, Seattle, Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton. I think I've just about got my wife convinced that we need to own one of these and become regular R-Podders. We've had so many great campground conversations with R-Pod-curious campers, all of whom have been very impressed with our little trailer. And of course we've met many friendly and satisfied R-Pod owners.

Four times during our trip the "Check Engine" light has come on. Always after we've been towing for several hours, stopped (for gas, etc.) and then re-started our tow vehicle (a 2006 Ford F-150) We've taken it in for a code read each time, and it always comes up P-128A, which translates to "Cylinder Head Temperature Circuit Intermittent/Erratic." We had the thermostat replaced the first time it happened, but it's occurred three more times. There are no other symptoms of the truck overheating, and clearing the code resolves the issue until the next time we tow, stop, and start. 

One of the mechanics said his incident database showed this code could be falsely triggered by alternator voltage issues. Has anyone else had an issue with bogus check engine codes in the tow vehicle while towing? I'm wondering if voltage fluctuations from the fridge (running on battery while towing) or something like the water pump being left on could be placing a funny load on our alternator which is causing the code to trigger.

This is driving me nuts, and my wife is not exactly pleased that I've become conditioned to just ignore the Check Engine light when it comes on. Thanks for any info.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 6:20am

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a Chevy guy so, can't speak with knowledge on your problem. Running the fridge on 12v. does require a lot of amperage. You could experiment and run the fridge on propane, while driving, just to see what happens. The water pump should not be an issue. If the switch is left on, it will only pump on demand to maintain water pressure when water is used. Even so, it's electrical demand does not approach that of the fridge. This test may provide a clue regarding what your mechanic said.
Kantuckid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:35am
Do you get the light when driving the vehicle in non tow usage? Check engine lights can have so many reasons it's hard to serve any purpose discussing them. My 2015 F-150m has several pages of possible causes in the manual. I got one last year from a rodent chewing the carbon canister wires and being non warranty it cost me $150 to get find the cause via dealer hookup. They are not unique to Ford by any means.
The number of vehicles being operated with a check engine light glowing is surely in the tens of thousands or likely far more...
I say ignore it or "buy your way out of the issue", via a different TV.
TylerK9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 10:15am
Thanks for the quick replies.

The light has only come on while towing, and only when restarting the truck after a stop for lunch, gas, etc.

After 3 different mechanic visits and two paid repairs (a new thermostat and a new fuel pump contoller) failed to fix the problem, I finally shelled out $70 for a little Bluetooth dingus that sits in the diagnostic port and lets me do my own code reads on my iPhone. That makes me feel a little better about ignoring the Check Engine light, since at least I can see if it's that same strange "temp sensor erratic" code and not something new. (At least for now that's a cheaper "buy my way out" solution than getting a new TV!)
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 11:58am
Have you searched any F-150 forums?  Whenever I've had issues with my vehicles (including CELs), I've almost always found answers from other owners who have had similar problems on online forums.  I'm not an F-150 owner, so I can't speak to your issue, however.

Also, you are visiting some of our favorite places to camp and hike.  That's a great trip! 
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 4:25pm
Three words-  "New Gas Cap"  I will not go so far as claiming this is the cause of your problem,  nor will I profess to know how it could throw the code you're getting, but I will state (unequivocally) that every mechanic I have ever dealt with recommended this before going any further with the diagnostics.  Plus, it has solved my problem more than once.  And it's cheap!
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 5:29pm
Try running on Propane down the highway.  That would eliminate one variable if the lite does not come on.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 7:07pm
+1 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
TylerK9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 11:46pm
Thanks for all the help! I could tell from the R-Pod owners we've met while traveling that this is a fantastic community of people, and this discussion forum is another great part of it.

Today we ran the fridge on propane while driving 350 miles from Elko, NV, to near Yosemite. We stopped 4 times for gas, lunch, etc. and the light came on twice. Now I'm thinking even charging the R-Pod battery from the truck may be placing an unexpected load on the alternator which is causing this to trigger. Will have my regular mechanic look at it when we get home in a few days.

Other than that, I *love* the RP-171. Before this trip I was looking at the RP-180 because of the larger bathroom, but we've really only used the onboard toilet in the middle of the night (or when pulled over someplace for lunch) and have primarily availed ourselves of campground showers. So the wet bath combo is a great backup option. My wife thinks she'd like the larger space a slide-out provides, but until we start camping more than 3-4 times a year I think the smaller footprint of the 171 is perfect for us.

I did see in the "Podmods" forum that several folks have removed the sink in the wet bath, and I think that would make the shower much more usable.
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 11:07am
Tyler, we started with the 171 & thought we could manage fine with the limited space.  I guess we could have but, after a few trips, we were convinced the extra space & bigger bathroom of the 180 would be better for us.  We've taken several trips now with the 180 (one of which was a 28-day 3900-mile jaunt from TX UP to WI/MN with our granddaughter).  Loved the extra space every minute of those trips.  Footprint?  Negligible difference, IMO.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>