Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew 179 and need an awning!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 179 and need an awning!
    Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 9:27am
I made both a slide-out cover and an awning for our R-Pod 179. Details are in my mods, the link to which is in my signature. I thought that all the awnings cost too much, and since we have the equipment to cut and sew heavier materials, and since we could get the material at an excellent price, I decided to do it myself. Big smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DanoJKU View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by trixilou

I just purchased a 2017 r pod 179, and opted out of the r dome.  I'm seeing a lot of pictures of interesting options for an awning, but can't find information on the size of the inside of the rail that the dome would slide into.  Does anyone know?  I'm thinking sail slugs or a rope the right size would slide through the rail and hold on a tarp of some sort nicely.  Called Forrest River and was told that it was 1.5", which doesn't even look close.    Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Welcome!  Tons of info here!  I got an RDome with my new '17 179 and we used it for a week long trip.  I am not a fan.  It detracts from the overall look of the RPod and is not as easy as a traditional crank awning.  I've been engineering\reverse engineering every awning solution that I can find and I plan on starting a new thread on what I've found.

Originally posted by 4runninpod

Has anyone looked into if one of the jayco hummingbird awnings would be adaptable to a r pod?
Welcome to the group.

I have reverse engineered Jayco's solution and have some info for you.  Unfortunately, it can not be purchased or quoted without a Jayco Hummingbird VIN# so maybe that could be covered by recording one from a dealer, not sure, but that's the main obstacle.  The awning they use is awesome.   It's made by Carefree and it's the Longitude OEM model, so it can only be purchased direct from Jayco.  I have a few alternative ideas I'm working on.
https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/products/longitude.html

Dano and Shell
2020 Imagine 2150RB \ 2019 F150 5.0
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 3:44pm
I used sail sliders. Found them online for $1 each and zip tied them to a nice lightweight canvas tarp i had that had rings every 2". Then i bought the 10' adjustable tent poles from Cabela's For $14 each, with some bungees it can be pulled to either side for a little more shade/sun protection.
The sail slugs slide in real nice and the whole thing goes up in 10 minutes.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12