Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charging battery while connected to tow vehicle
    Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 9:49pm
Propane it is. Thanks all.
2016 r-pod 180
Trapper John View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 1:19pm
We just completed our second shake-down trip and ran the fridge in our 179 from DC on both the in and out legs. The total round trip was just over 600 miles and the hamburg stayed frozen. Our tow vehicle is a 2015 Nissan Xterra equipped with 20 amp wiring throughout. I have no other comparators but based on our experience I agree that it is likely a vehicle dependent issue.

"Open the pod door, Hal!"
Trapper John in Oregon
PeasNPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 7:40pm
Patriot,

Hope all is going well with your set-up.

I have traveled extensively (5th wheel) with the refrigerator running on propane without any issues. To be safe, it is advised to turn the propane off when refueling your vehicle, especially if the refer is on the same side as your fuel cap.

We have a 2013 Volvo XC60 T6, and are considering an R-Pod. How well does the XC60 perform. Do you have a Weight Distributing Hitch? Do you tow in Sport Mode? Do you have the T6 or regular?

Any insights would be much appreciated.
My wife and I spent 16 months traveling a 35-foot 5th Wheel now we are looking for something small and nimble.

Thanks,
Bob
olga1913 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 3:52pm
We have a 179 and tow it with a Tahoe.  It has the tow package on it but out of the install the lead for the 7th pin 'hot' connection was not hard wired.  That wire was shrink wrapped and secured to the frame.  I had to uncoil that and hook it up.  There is a 40 amp fuse for that heavier wire and it has been more than to maintain the fridge and the battery while traveling.  We took the freezer component out for needed space.  Good luck.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 4:51pm
I have two Chevrolet products, both with 12V charging capability thru the connector, both have a 40A fuse in the under hood fuse box. Both have no issue charging TT battery and/or running reefer in 12V mode. It is very much an issue of how your TV was set up and is it adequate to provide capability.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Roadrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 10:33pm
How can I check if my tv is charging the ttt battery?
Roger
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 10:44pm
With the vehicle running check your battery on the pod ,with a  VOM it should read around 13.8 volts, if it reads only 12 volts it's not charging.    
         Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

BMac12345 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 5:57pm
We did our first dry camping adventure two weekends ago, and the battery go down to around 1/3 by the end of the two days. By the time we got home, the battery was fully charged. The 2018 Rpod 178 has a 7-pin connector, and the 2011 Lexus RX450h has a 4-pin connector, and there’s obviously some converter we got that joins the two. So apparently the car recharges the Rpod battery while driving? Or while connected but not driving? Irritating that the owner’s manual seems to mention none of this.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 6:26pm
There is no charge converter joining the two vehicles. When you are towing the alternator in your tow vehicle is charging both your TV and trailer batteries. The two batteries are connected in parallel by the 7 way connector. When camping, you should disconnect the connector so that you don't discharge the tow vehicle battery into your trailer loads. Otherwise you could end up with a dead battery in the TV at some point. 

To clarify one thing, do you have a brake controller in the Lexus? A flat 4 connector doesn't provide an output to control the electric brakes.  You need to have that in order to legally and safely tow a trailer the weight of ab rpod. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
BMac12345 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 7:03pm
A couple friends of ours told us yesterday that with just four wires, there is no way there would be power to the Rpod battery. The four wires would only control the lights on the trailer. This didn’t seem to be the case the last time we towed the Rpod. Regarding the electric brakes, I’m not sure the answer. My assumption was Lexus knew what they were doing installing the tow hitch, and the Rpod manufacturer knew what they were doing understanding that not all wiring connections will be supported by every car manufacturer. Incorrect assumption? Possibly. But I wouldn’t know what to do in order to cram 7 connections from the Rpod into just 4 on the car. Suggestions?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>