R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnder-the-Rig Spare Tire Storage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Under-the-Rig Spare Tire Storage
    Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 6:50pm
One of our first desires after two shake-down trips is to get the spare tire off of the back of the trailer - a 2016 mod 179. We'd like to put a cargo rack in its place for carrying a 9' inflatable frameless pontoon boat and associated gear.

Although I've searched the forums for optional approaches it seems to me that the BAL Hide-a-Spare carrier would work perfectly - provided that the R-pod frame will accommodate it. Since I am old, but lame, the prospect of crawling around underneath the unit to determine where to mount such a carrier is daunting. Has anyone acquired experience with this option? Our tow vehicle is a 2015 Nissan Xterra and the short tongue on the trailer leaves little room for a mount up there. I don't want to put the spare on the roof (remember - old, crippled, and grumpy to boot) and the only other option seems to be to put it in the cargo hold. Doable, yes - but that will displace other gear and, well, you can see where this would take us.

I'm curious to see what the conventional wisdom is on this issue. What say you?

Trapper John
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 7:47pm
Trapper,

OR carry the spare in the tow vehicle, use a 1' to 2' adapter to mount the carrier on rear, MAYBE:)
Gregm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 8:06pm
I had a problem with my old Viking pop up's spare carrier. I bungied the spare to the top of the propane tank on the trailer tongue, not very pretty but it served the purpose for the last few trips with the Viking. This might do until you find a better solution.
Gregm
2014 171
2015 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
Kantuckid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 1:36pm
My front frame mtd. spare tire carrier is sold on ebay for $22. I mtd. mine on the drivers side of the triangle frame where it didn't interfere with the brake controller. The seller has an ebay store for RV and trailer items and he has these manufactured for him then keeps the price down by selling as raw steel parts that you deburr and prime/paint and furnish the fasteners too. TSC has the best price on fasteners if you go that route. 
bjk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 1:48pm
I just picked up my R-pod from the shop (warranty fixes) and saw another R-pod in the shop as well.  What caught my eye (and I wish I had had my phone on me to take a pic) was the utility shelf on the back and the spare tire mounted on one side of the tongue on the front.   Took a quick gander, but it appears they owner may have taken the hitch mount and modified it so they either bolted or welded it to the tongue (didn't get a long enough look to see).  It somewhat restricted access to the propane and batteries to one side, but provided easy exterior access to the spare.  My first thought was the extra tongue weight, but with the utility carrier on the back (not seeing how *it* was mounted and reinforced) it may have balanced out. 
2016 HRE R-179 "CapPODccino"
2011 F-150 SLX
ron/roscoe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 3:41pm
My tv is a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I just put the spare vertical up against the sidewall, other stuff keeps it in place.  Take's up about 6 inches of space, work for me, now I can mount my bike rack on the back of my R178.
Ron Rowland
fognet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 10:47am
Yes but what about locating the bal under rpod as the first post asked?
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

James Fredericktown, MO 2019 RP 176. Previous RP 180. TV Toyota Highlander. 19 MPG while towing.
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 11:08am
I have a 2016 179 and have mounted a BAL spare tire carrier under the pod.  Just behind the steps.  Works great.
The Pirate's Pod
fognet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 12:13pm
Thanks for info. I just ordered one. I will consider your input.
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

James Fredericktown, MO 2019 RP 176. Previous RP 180. TV Toyota Highlander. 19 MPG while towing.
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 12:49pm
I have a Pickup, so it goes in the back. Not an option for you.. Well, maybe.. yet that space is valuable to you.

I see what CK did is what I would if I needed to, as close to the axle as possible. To me it's a clearance thing to me. We Boondock often and when entering a new area the last thing I want is the spare to hang up on something. Personally I'd like to setup my rear jacks so they come off and slip into a sleeve of sorts, but that's another topic.. You see I'm all about clearance.

I have the 182g, so my spare was in the back cargo stowage. That wasn't happening! Valuable space for me. If I could, I'd use the rear hitch. I can't because of my rear kitchen (garage) that we use 'all' the time. Well, could, but I won't.. don't want something I have to deal with every time I wish to use the rear kitchen (which is often for us). 

I read many folks use this system you refer to and love it. You have to decide what sort of camping and where you go as to what will work for you.

I do hope it works for you and as always:
The only mistake we make, Is not going camping! 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply