R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew tech for this trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New tech for this trip
    Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 9:52pm
1. Laser temperature gun
2. Diablosport i2 tuner/programmer
3. New camper tires

I have to live up to my screen name, so I have some new tech on my current road trip.  

First up is the temperature gun.  I always check my tire and hub temps when I stop, now I can do it high-tech.  The back of the hand works well, but now I can compare the actual temps from wheel to wheel.  I even checked the temps for the guy parked next to me at a rest stop since he was having a hard time getting around with a bad hip.  Any excuse to shoot the laser at something.  Works on my forehead too.  Tongue

I've mentioned the Diablo tuner in other threads because I've had it roughly 6 months, but this is the first hard test of the performance tune on steep, long grades.  The biggest reason I bought it was to adjust the fan temperature settings.  I now have it set to turn on the fans on high above 214 F, where the factory doesn't do that until 235.  I'm still seeing a rise in engine temps on the harder grades, but the milder grades and flats it keeps the engine temp solid at 210 now.  Less engine heat keeps the oil cooler, which keeps the oil pressure up.  As for the tune, as I've noted before it is better than the stock tune.  I haven't tried customizing the engine parameters yet other than the fan settings.  I did try firming up the transmission shifting but didn't like it so that is back to stock.

Why are camper tires on the list?  My camper came with bias tires.  Last year I replaced them with bias tires since that is what it had before.  Two of 4 failed on a trip last month, and this time it got radials.  The difference in handling is huge.  I actually feel like the WDH can keep it solidly straight in the best of conditions now, but before I was always fighting it.  Today I encountered decent winds half the day but could keep my speed at 65 (where before I had to slow down) and fought it less than I did before at the best of times.  I don't know why, since radials have more sidewall flex.  I know my pod towed very comfortably with its radials.  I'm happy to have the improvement, whatever the reason.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 8:36am
I love my temp gun!  I always check my hubs and tires too when we stop.  It's a good cautionary practice, but, like you say, mostly an excuse to shoot the gun.

Someone told me that railroads use stationary laser temp guns to shoot the hubs on trains as the roll past certain points.  A hot one gets flagged for quick service.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 10:02am
I love hearing about new toys!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

I love my temp gun!  I always check my hubs and tires too when we stop.  It's a good cautionary practice, but, like you say, mostly an excuse to shoot the gun.

Someone told me that railroads use stationary laser temp guns to shoot the hubs on trains as the roll past certain points.  A hot one gets flagged for quick service.

TT

Hot box detector.  Yes it uses infrared detector "eyes" like the guns.  Arrrrr-arrrr-arrrr railroad stuff.
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 9:05pm
i know ive read it before but what is the range for hub temps?  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 9:22pm
I didn't know so I just looked around the net, and there is a wide range depending on ambient temps, coming down a hill or flat land, sun side vs. shade side, etc.  90 to 135 being a decent range.

I've just been comparing my own 4 wheels and so far my tires are around 110 and hubs around 95 with ambient air temps in the low 80's.  The exception was a stop in the rain where they were all close to ambient in the low 70's, which makes sense since water is a good heat sink.
WillG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 6:51pm
So I take it we're supposed to check tire & hub temp or is it just tire? - after a long descent? Long drive? Is this to prevent brake burnout or blow outs and since every time I turn my head I'm dropping more money on this thing I've yet to use - what's the purpose, cost effective way to do this? By touch isn't very accurate.....  All this is probably irrelevant at this time since we plan on taking a few pretty short trips first to work out the trailer travel bugs / routine. Thanks!
R-Podder by process of elimination
2014 RP179
2011 GMC CrewCab Short Bed
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 11:32pm
By touch is accurate enough for everyday use. If one hub or tire is significantly hotter than the other, then further investigation is warranted. if not, then all is well. The infrared non-contact thermometer is for those who want more precision. If you are curious and want to get more specific readings, and have the spare cash, then it is a nice thing to have. You don't have to spend a fortune either. if you have a Harbor Freight near you or happen to see one on one of your trips, you can get a non-contact thermometer for a very low price. I have one that I use in our kitchen. It will also see use on future trips to check hub and tire temperatures. Big smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by WillG

So I take it we're supposed to check tire & hub temp or is it just tire? - after a long descent? Long drive? Is this to prevent brake burnout or blow outs and since every time I turn my head I'm dropping more money on this thing I've yet to use - what's the purpose, cost effective way to do this? By touch isn't very accurate.....  All this is probably irrelevant at this time since we plan on taking a few pretty short trips first to work out the trailer travel bugs / routine. Thanks!

A temp gun isn't necessary at all.  I use it for hubs and tires because I have it.  For the purpose, as others have stated, feel is accurate enough.   Checking temperatures, however you do it, can help head off potentially catastrophic breakdowns in the middle of nowhere.  If hubs get too hot they are at least dried out and in need of repacking or replacing as soon as possible.  Bad hubs can lead to damaged axles or even a wheel falling off.  As for the tires, a pressure gauge works about as well as a temp gun.  Low tires get hotter so checking pressure or temperature is 6 of one....

It's probably a bit anal to check hubs and tires at every stop, but it can't hurt.  Like I said, one of my big reasons for using the temp gun is because I have it and it's kind of fun.  Prices have really come down lately and they come in handy for a lot of things, but I don't know that I'd buy one just to check hubs and tires.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 12:19am
I agree, just testing with your hand is good enough and I did that for many years.  If it is too hot to leave your hand on, then you may have a problem (checking your hubs right after coming down a long grade is another story).  I only bought my temp gun to diagnose a problem with something else, and for use with my wood stove in the winter, but since I have it I figured I would bring it along.  My gas-stop routine includes getting the pump going and then doing a walk-around making sure nothing is loose or unlocked or too hot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>