R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGFCI reset troubles.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: GFCI reset troubles.
    Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 5:20pm
Just a heads up for those who have a GFCI outlet which won't reset. On a recent trip my spouse caused the GFCI to trip in our Rpod 78 by using a hair dryer. I was unable to get that GFCI to reset. I checked the breakers, fuses, etc., to no avail. I went to a local Home Depot and purchased a new GFCI outlet, replaced it, and still no good. I was at my wit's end needless to say. Unfortunately that circuit involves 3 outlets (1 by the bed, 1 by the kitchen, and 1 by the dinette) as well as the outlet that the fridge plugs into. Once it tripped our refrigerator would not work on electricity. After a couple of hours trying to figure out the problem I gave up and spent the rest of the trip using a cooler instead of the fridge.

After getting back home and troubleshooting, I figured out 2 things which I wanted to share. First, unless the power is connected to the camper and the circuit, the GFCI won't reset. Older GFCI outlets will reset without power but the newer ones (since 2004 or so) will not. Every Rpod has been built since 2004 so I doubt there is one out there that will let the GFCI reset without power. Second, every item plugged into that GFCI circuit (i.e., the fridge or anything else) will have to be unplugged in order to get the GFCI to reset.

I couldn't understand why it wouldn't reset and still don't, but learned after many fruitless efforts that the fridge had to be unplugged. You access the fridge power cord through the outside cover panel. Once I unplugged that, the GFCI readily reset. Had I known that before I could have saved myself a great deal of sweat and aggravation.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 6:26pm
Wow, thats awesome...thanks for sharing this! 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by johnremmett

Second, every item plugged into that GFCI circuit (i.e., the fridge or anything else) will have to be unplugged in order to get the GFCI to reset.

I couldn't understand why it wouldn't reset and still don't, but learned after many fruitless efforts that the fridge had to be unplugged. You access the fridge power cord through the outside cover panel. Once I unplugged that, the GFCI readily reset. Had I known that before I could have saved myself a great deal of sweat and aggravation.

That's very strange.  Our 14 month old daughter hit the 'test' button on the GFCI outlet next to the dinette many times on our last trip, and just pushing back in the 'reset' button reset it, restoring power.  Perhaps there's a difference if the GFCI trips due to a real fault, but there shouldn't be or else the 'test' feature isn't working as it seems that it should.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 9:26pm
The GFCI that came in my pod was not of the highest quality so I went ahead and replaced it soon after we got it, it's a Contractor grade and Weather Resistant
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply