R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAwning Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Awning Ideas
    Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 10:08am
Any suggestions for buying an awning that attaches to a POD. I have a 179 and would really like to get a little extra outdoor shade.
R-POD is R-PAD
Black Ford F350
Oregon License "HQRSE"
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 11:16am
I have one from Marti's Awnings in Chico CA.  A bit pricey compared to a blue tarp but is well made.  The awning we had on the previous tent trailer was in a bag that ran along the side of the tent trailer and was a little handier to put up.  One will need to also carry a step ladder or, better, two, and watch the wind.  In idaho, one does not want to leave an awning up unattended.
JodyG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 12:12pm
I was at a dealership yesterday, and the salesman told me that new 2017's are going to be coming with awnings in the near future, and they will be available separately for older models. He also said he is fairly sure you will still be able to use the r-dome with them as well. I guess I will wait and see before buying a 2017.
DanoJKU View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 5:28pm
Here's the deal... come Oct\Nov this Thule Omnistor awning shown below will be an option on most R-pod models.  These have front and side options to enclose if it's the model I think they are using. There's many Omnistor awnings and they are made to order according to desired width.  FR hopes to have a retro fit kit worked out soon for those of us with earlier editions.   Mine's a '17 Green\Tan theme and the Blue\White theme shown below must be a '17.5 or something. 

Also of interest, if anyone wants the traditional Green R-pod, better get it now because Blue\White will be the only color option starting Oct.

Dano and Shell
2020 Imagine 2150RB \ 2019 F150 5.0
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 6:44pm

I must be a man of vison...perhaps even a prophet!   

2011 post
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 9:03pm

Have always known that !!!Thumbs Up
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
GIAKIN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 11:17pm
Wow! This is just what I have been hoping for. We love our 179,but this is the cherry on top!!!!
MDPaddlersPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 8:59am
I like the awning but not the blue color. I think it looks good but, just not for me. Glad I just bought a 2017 Green and Tan 179, I think the colors are much better. In the picture it looks like the keeder rail is missing for the Rdome.
MDPaddlersPod
2017 RPod 179
2002 Silverado1500
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 6:01pm
Interesting on the THULE awning, I did a quick GOOGLE I didn't see a USA dealer, any advice on who is offering them in the US.

THANKS
DanoJKU View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 9:46am
My interest in this awning has dwindled. Sleepy The fabric swatch that I found matches up to their blue color theme perfectly, but not so much to my green theme.  Even with black hardware IMO it is going to look out of place on my green Rpod with the grey fabric.  Maybe they will offer a tan fabric for us at some point.  I'm trying to guess at what it's going to cost as a kit from Forest River.  If I say $1500 then I am confident for that price, I can custom build something from another vendor, especially one that offers dozens of fabric\color options to get a better theme match. There are some installation challenges to overcome with this Thule on the roof and the existing keder rail that might interfere.  

I know one thing for certain, if I drill holes in to the roof and sides of my brand new camper, it's for keeps and I absolutely must love the awning, not tolerate it.  I'm just not there with this Thule offering at least until I know for sure what will be offered to us.

Dano and Shell
2020 Imagine 2150RB \ 2019 F150 5.0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>