Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater Usage - Event Date: 17 Jul 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Water Usage
    Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 10:55pm
My husband and I purchased a 179, Seaglass R-Pod, we bought it because we are ready to start taking little trips with our camper to enjoy getting out. Our first trip will be to Flagg Ranch campground, bear country. Ughhh...

We are from Utah and out here, I NEVER see these little campers! RVing is a big thing here in Utah and all I see are super huge rigs.

Regardless, I have a few questions:

1. So what do most of you guys do with toweling after shower? Knowing the bathroom is a "wet" bathroom, where do you put your DRY towels, over the door? Do they get wet?

2. I have heard from RVers that you should not use the latrine regularly, that you should go to the shower house to do your business, etc...   I'd love to hear other perspectives on this area. I want to use my bathroom, why shouldn't I?

3. Mattress: has anyone bought a regular queen foam 2-3" and just cut it to size? How much do you cut off width and length? Does it work out well for you as a topper over the factory mattress or use it solely.

4. Air Conditioner: are there any tricks to reducing the noise level?

5. Towing equipment: the dealer talked about this towing device to add to your setup, cannot remember the name VQ, EQ, etc?? It was $700.00. He said it will make your truck and trailer feel as if one unit, no sway, no jacknifing, etc.. Is something like that really necessary?

I can't wait to get out and enjoy my R-Pod, I'm just worried, I'll be disappointed with the "little" issues that may develops my first trip.

What additional advice can you give me for my "maiden voyage"?

I am looking forward to feedback and thank your for your time!

Nittybelle
USAF Retired
Nittbelle
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 5:48am
1. We use special micro fiber bath towels. Take a bit of getting used to but work great and dry in minutes after use. We use a small fold-able laundry dryer outside. 
2. Nothing stopping you, this is just a matter of preference. 
3. Again, a matter of preference. We bought a very good queen short mattress at Wal-Mart.com and we are very happy with it. We consider a topper good, but temporary. 
4. This is an issue that spans across all makes and brands of RVs. It is what it its. It doesn't seem to bother us anymore. 
5.We use a Weight Distribution Hitch like many others. Your particular combination dictates determines requirements, however, it usually always improves safety, control, and ride. 
Relax...it takes a while to get things the way you want them. It's all part of the fun. Enjoy! Smile 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 8:00am
Welcome to the group! congrats on your 179! I agree with Podster, a lot of personal preference.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
TheLoneRanger View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 1:09pm
There are at least (2) R-Pods in Utah. I just purchased a 2016 177 on 6/23/16 and live in Hurricane UT. My 1st trip out is 8/28 to Kodachrome Basin State Park. I am planning to head to WY (Grand Tetons and Yellowstone) in 2017. Enjoy your 1st adventure to Flagg Ranch!
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 1:48pm
Welcome! Congrats on your 177!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Nittybelle

My husband and I purchased a 179, Seaglass R-Pod, we bought it because we are ready to start taking little trips with our camper to enjoy getting out. Our first trip will be to Flagg Ranch campground, bear country. Ughhh...

Congratulations! As for bear country, better in an R-Pod than a tent!

We are from Utah and out here, I NEVER see these little campers! RVing is a big thing here in Utah and all I see are super huge rigs.

We're in North Carolina. We don't see many out here either. I hope you are prepared to show yours off. They attract quite a bit of attention. Smile

Regardless, I have a few questions:

1. So what do most of you guys do with toweling after shower? Knowing the bathroom is a "wet" bathroom, where do you put your DRY towels, over the door? Do they get wet?

For clean, dry towels, we use one of the cabinets above the dinette. For ones we are using, I purchased a triple, over-the-door towel rack. It is set so that the towels are on the outside. It is less attractive, but allows more air circulation, especially since the rack is right below the AC unit.

2. I have heard from RVers that you should not use the latrine regularly, that you should go to the shower house to do your business, etc...   I'd love to hear other perspectives on this area. I want to use my bathroom, why shouldn't I?

We use ours regularly. The key is to use sufficient water when flushing #2 so that the "pyramid of poo" does not build up. If dry camping, then there is no choice but to use your own facilities. Just be aware that about 3 showers will both drain the fresh tank and fill the gray tank unless you are very, very conservative with water usage. We tend to use the onboard toilet facilites, but if available, use campground shower facilities. There is more room to maneuver, and no worry about running out of water that way.

3. Mattress: has anyone bought a regular queen foam 2-3" and just cut it to size? How much do you cut off width and length? Does it work out well for you as a topper over the factory mattress or use it solely.

We started out with a mattress topper, regular queen that I cut down (about 5"). It did not take long to figure out that even with the topper, the original mattress was not providing adequate support. We ended up purchasing a short queen memory foam mattress. The one we purchased was 10" thick. If I were to do it again, I would probably get the 8" model both for weight savings and for ease of moving it to get underneath for access to the hot water heater and water pump. See my mods (link below) for more specific details.

4. Air Conditioner: are there any tricks to reducing the noise level?

I hope to find some tricks also. In the meantime, change the thermostat's fan setting from "auto" to "low" and then it will be a constant sound. After a night or two, it will become familiar and no longer keep you awake.

5. Towing equipment: the dealer talked about this towing device to add to your setup, cannot remember the name VQ, EQ, etc?? It was $700.00. He said it will make your truck and trailer feel as if one unit, no sway, no jacknifing, etc.. Is something like that really necessary?

Probably an Equal-i-zer 4-way stabilization hitch. That is what we got. It also was $700 installed. I am towing ur 179 with a Ford Escape. I wouldn't tow without it. However, your tow vehicle (TV) may be sufficient to make it less necessary. However, it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I can't wait to get out and enjoy my R-Pod, I'm just worried, I'll be disappointed with the "little" issues that may develops my first trip.

The first trip is the "shake-down" trip. It is to help turn up the little things so they can be fixed.

What additional advice can you give me for my "maiden voyage"?

If you have not already picked it up, make sure you take copious notes. If possible, take video of the walk-through to which you can later refer. Make sure all systems are checked and tested, to include making sure the valves for hot water and winterization are properly set. Make sure the cross-members for the fresh, gray, and black water tanks are securely attached with no gaps between the cross-members and the frame. Make sure they test the refrigerator on propane as well as on 110. To keep flying insects out, consider adding bug screens to the refrigerator vents, the furnace vent, and the water heater vents. We found this last one out when we first got ours and wasps had built a nest in the refrigerator burner area. 

I am looking forward to feedback and thank your for your time!

Nittybelle
USAF Retired

Welcome and congratualations!
StephenH
USA, Retired
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Jazz trumpet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 5:51pm
I towed my 180 with a Suburban 1500 and Donthe notice any need for a sway controller. Just go slow especially on curves and expressway ramps.

I ditto the screens on all vents. The dealer sell a nice one for the silver vent (water heater?).

My 2016 mattress seems fine.

Use your toilet whenever you wish. It's yours, right?

Enjoy it. Make memories. EZ to tow. EZ to park. Just enough room. High quality build.

We haven't camped in 16 years. Just restarted camping due to the 180. We love it.

John and Marilyn
2016 Rpod 180
2001 Chevrolet Suburban
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 10:43pm
If you camp at full hookup campgrounds, don't worry about water usage.  On the other hand, if you boondock, water usage becomes very important.  You've only got 30 gallons of water in the tank and another 5 gallons in the water heater.  We find that 30 gallons of water will last at least a week, but to make that happen showering is not an option.  We take "cowboy baths."  Dishwashing can be done in a few quarts of water if you maximize the rinsing water.
Nittybelle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 11:47pm
Thanks for all the useful information! You gave me a lot to get started! Happy Trailering!

Nittybelle
Nittbelle
Jazz trumpet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 7:39am
Indiana state parks offer electricity but not water or sewer. This presents a similar situation to dry camping. However the camp sites are spacious.

You guys take showers?😊
       John and Marilyn
2016 Rpod 180
2001 Chevrolet Suburban
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>