R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Mods:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 77>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote KrogPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Your Mods:
    Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 3:10pm
Not to many mods on our KrogPod RP-172 as we have only had it just over a month but we have many planned. Nothing really original here just variations form what others have done.

Mods so far;
Cut seat platform by sink so it can be opened without moving rear cushions.

Cut access hole under lower bunk near door for access to Sodas and water with stop blocks so items don't slide around while traveling and put trim on opening for appearance and protection.

Also split the bunk support board for easier access over the top.

Added small railing to cabinet above oven.

Additional foam on both bunk mattresses. No photo but used 1.5" 38lb foam.

Installed mirror on inside of bath door using Command Strip Velcro, mirror from Target $5.98.

Installed padding on top bunk support, that thing was a head knocker.

This photo from under top bunk showing padding protrusion.

Fabricated stove cover/cutting board. Also works as a splatter guard when using stove.

Installed wire shelf for bath soap and shampoo bottles, doubles as TP holder.

Several more are planned;

Small shelve above side windows
12" Porthole window in door
Misc. cubbies near door for flashlight, binoculars etc.
TV/Radio, very poor reception on Tv and radio, needs external radio antenna.
2014 RP-172, AKA KrogPod
2003 S10 ExCab V6 4.3L Automatic
Central Texas
Goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 5:35pm
Looks nice! Nothing like making it your own. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
P&M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote P&M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 8:40am
Love the access hole!  What kind of trim is it that you used to surround it with?
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
KrogPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KrogPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 10:36am
It is a vinyl U channel that has a thin metal stiffener, you can buy it at most boating supplies. $1.30 per ft, very inexpensive.
2014 RP-172, AKA KrogPod
2003 S10 ExCab V6 4.3L Automatic
Central Texas
patmin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 12:51pm
VERY interested in HOW you attached this handle. We want to do the same, but cannot find a suitable location that won't pull out of the wall. Please give more information. Thanks.
alan7170 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alan7170 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 7:39pm
We just purchased a new 2014 177 and the day after taking possession took it on a 15 day maiden voyage from Arizona through the central and southern Rocky Mountains in Colorado.  Now that we are back and I have been perusing the forums a bit I have been making many small modifications...

Replaced incandescent bulbs with LED's throughout, with the exception of one fixture.  I am an amateur astronomer and when camping with friends and telescopes, white light is a no-no.

alan7170 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alan7170 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 7:42pm
And as we camp off the grid 99% of the time, I removed the TV/DVD unit (my head is already happier) as well as the microwave/convection oven.  In place of the oven I installed a pull out rack that can be used for food storage....a velcro strap retains it during travel.

alan7170 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alan7170 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 7:45pm
Also partitioned the drivers side dinette base to create storage; installed a valve on the fresh water tank drain; and made an over the cook top cutting board thanks to ideas here...

Esca-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esca-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 9:02am
Here are some of the modifications we have made to our new 172. 

There are the 2 of us and Mandy, our dog, who is about 60+ pounds and does not get on the furniture EVER.  When we are all inside, it gets pretty crowded.  So we had to make some changes.

First, we didn't feel that we needed all the seating area in the dining booth.  But, we did need storage for our clothing and photography equipment, etc.  We also sleep in the bunks, so we don't need to convert the dining area to a bed.

Also, we felt the table was heavy and bulky.  Mandy's bed goes on the floor in the dining area and we had to put the table up on the seat at night.

We removed the rear dining bench cushions and replaced them with Like-It drawers from the Container Store - we were able to get a combination of drawers that fit perfectly.  Kevin built a platform to raise the bottom of the drawers above the remaining seat cushions.  The drawers are attached to the platform, each other and braced in the back, too - they aren't going anywhere.

We also opened up the space below the bench that was part of the outside storage. 

We replaced the table with a lightweight, but sturdy folding table that we store on the side wall of the fridge when not it use.

Here's the table stored.  Also used the cargo net from the pantry to hold a DustBuster.  We added some storage baskets above the fridge, too.

The pantry area now has some dowels to hold things in place.  We also organized that area with Fridge Bins from the Container Store (love that place!) that fit perfectly.  Hooks underneath are to hold things we handwash so they drip in the sink instead of the bathroom floor at night.

We did a lot of mods in the bunk area and the bathroom - I will post them later when I get photos.

Off for a short trip today to try out the "new" Esca-Pod!!
Kevin & Joyce
ilthyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ilthyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 9:23pm

My first task was to put wooden knobs either side of the silly clear plastic slider on the screen door.

We added a gel foam mattress on top of the one provided.

I made struts to hold open the bench storage areas. They are constructed to fall out of the way once closing.

I have hooked up 12v power for the interior for  handivac and other items.

I made a drawer full width which slides through both cargo doors, it works really well for organizing stuff. Cabana poles slide in underneath.

I buffed down the screw heads on the cabana guide to stop scraping the attaching strip and regularly apply silicone spray to assist.  Also, secured a rope to one end of cabana strip to assist in pulling it through the guide.

I fitted in more storage around the electrical area.

I made a cover to go over the burners to increase counter space and reduce cleaning.

I built an outside table. A detachable curved strip fits over the wheel mudguard and the other end is supported on a step-stool. Flipped over, the table becomes a bicycle rack for my wife’s (heavy) electric bike and lays on the floor in place of the internal table. ( Goes on the bed for travelling)The bike rear wheel fits in a built up slot and ties come up through the side storage benches to secure the bike in place while travelling. Works really well although the lifting in is a two person job. My smaller bike goes on the spare wheel rear attachment, wheel in truck instead.

I mounted a mirror inside the main door on the bathroom wall.

I made a cedar floor for the bathroom to avoid scratching the floor surface. (Have to figure out the creaking noise middle of the night!)

I built a triangular cover over the hitch assembly. This can accommodate two propane tanks and one battery, or one propane and two batteries. A small hatch on top gives access for propane on/off. Next is battery connect/disconnect as I have a battery unit in my truck attached to a solar panel atop my canopy.

The sewage drain hose container is now on top of this assembly and is 10 times easier to use, and no ground contact hazard.

We put two bubble levels on outside.

Put paper towel dispenser on end of overhead cabinets

(Photos available of above on request.)

Contemplating:

Storage over bed area

Fix table to wall and lose one set of legs.

Remove table securing ring which scratches our legs.

Have booking to get Pod raised 4 inches due to low clearance.

May get swing-away jack depending on how raising works.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 77>