R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Mods:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 77>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DenverPodders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Your Mods:
    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 1:10pm
We bought our 2017 R-Pod 179 back in October and have been hard at work ever since. We are loving it so far and are currently on our second ~month long excursion out of cold snowy Denver to warm climates and sunshine while working remotely! 

A huge thank you to the rpod-owners forum as it has been a haven of resources, tools, tips and tricks to help make our modifications successful (at least we think they are successful so far). Special thanks to offgrid for responding to my private message and allowing me to give him a call to discuss our Solar Panel install. Really cool demonstration of how powerful this community can be. That install was certainly the most stressful and challenging mod that I had a hand in. 

Mods include:
-New Peel and Stick Floor Tile 
-Peel and stick subway kitchen tile
-Painting kitchen cabinets green
-Painting entire pod interior white
-Refinishing all door handles and painting black 
-Installing Kitchen Shelf
-Various decor items
-Katie (my wife) sewed beautiful custom window blinds/rods and hung them
-Peel and stick wallpaper in the slide out as well as the bedroom
-Beddy's for the bed (great investment!)
-200W Solar Panels
>Installed 2 panels on the roof and routed through the cabinet
>Installed a new battery bank with 2x 100ah AGM Batteries and custom built a platform in the battery tray for them to sit on (battery tray wasn't big enough)
-Installed Bedroom Shelves and removed the TV
-Have a projector screen setup that is quite nice :) 
-Installed towel rack
-Removed all paneling around slide out and windows
-Installed new finished wood trim around slide out 
-Removed factory kitchen table and replaced with a smaller custom finished table we made
-Bike hitch on the back of R-Pod to replace the spare tire 

*Not sure if I am following the rules or whether these pictures will show up correctly*

Jenga Jack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jenga Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 1:28pm
Hello Denver Podder,
What did you use to secure the shelf to the wall so it could hold the weight? And if you screwed into "studs" how did you find them?
P.S. nice mods & photos.
Jack
2014 R-Pod 178 aka the "Kobra Pod"
following a 2015 4Runner wherever it may wander
DenverPodders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DenverPodders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 2:28pm
Hey Jack - Thanks! For the Kitchen shelf we used drywall fasteners and screwed into those PLUS command strips. Command strips have been our savior. The kitchen shelf works well because it is supported by shelf brackets. Similarly, we tried to use drywall fasteners for a shelf in the bedroom without shelf brackets or command strips and that did not hold as the fasteners aren't really screwing into anything. Beginners here! 

Also - on the stud aspect, we bought a stud finder and it didn't really do us much good, kept getting tripped up by the R-Pod framing. Regardless, it would not have mattered after watching this construction video on how R-Pods are manufactured. Recommend scoping it out for context - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXNYA73rCNE

Can find the shelf brackets on Amazon or Home Depot.  
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 7:57am
What type of paint did you use?  Enamel, latex?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Harry & Lizanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry & Lizanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:17am
I love your modifications, colors are very relaxing and great “home feeling”.
Mstewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mstewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 3:54pm
Very nice!! It looks great! Enjoy. 
2017 Rpod 182G
2019 Subaru Ascent
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 4:19pm
Love the green cabinets. Definitely not showing that pic to my wife, I have enough honey do's already..

Solar install looks great!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
DenverPodders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DenverPodders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 8:50am
Thanks OffGrid, that Solar Install was all you! Excellent recommendations, much appreciated again. 
gooddfellow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gooddfellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 1:29pm
did you go from 14 inch wheels to 15 inch, is that what the lift kit was for ?
goodfellow
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by gooddfellow

did you go from 14 inch wheels to 15 inch, is that what the lift kit was for ?

Most of us, myself included, have purchased and installed the lift kit to gain elevation/height so that we don't continually bend the rear stabilizers on uneven terrain as well as gain a little more clearance between the tire and fender.  It has also been quite beneficial when traveling on back roads where potholes are plentiful or in situations we have been in like going over roadways where the water may be 6 or 8" deep or deeper.  If I hadn't installed the 3.5" lift kit there would have been a number of areas we could never have gotten to.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 77>