R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeight distribution hitch - Event Date: 20 Jul 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Weight distribution hitch
    Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 9:55am
Look closely when buying and thinking tow package.  On the 15 Chev Colorado, w/o tow package the hitch ball is in the bumper and rated 3500. With tow package the hitch is attached underneath bumper to the frame and rated 5000. Plus you get all the wiring done. I also think you get a different rear end ratio. For about $300 back then, it was a no brainer.  

I use a $80 sway bar and with a full load of water (tank behind axle of my 178HRE), and a bit of loading thought to keep weight on the tongue, I have no problems, no real sway with the Colorado.  One thought, as I have done numerous I-70 mountain passes with this -- down shifting and brake capability is important. TV + R-pod is about 2/3 GVW of Colorado 12,000 rating.  In the mountains I would say my comfort level is very good, but would not want to push the GVW% any higher.  A vehicle with 3500 and a lower GVW max would be a concern on steeper grades.  On the flat plains, not a concern.
Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
2018 178 R-pod Hood River Edition
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 12:55pm
I should have added that I use an Anderson weight distribution/anti-sway hitch when towing with my Tundra.  I like it and very much appreciate the sway control.

I also have the Toyota tow package on my Tundra.

I also moved my spare tire from the back to under the trailer in front of the axle by using a BAL Hide-A-Spare.  This is an effort to move more weight forward of the axle when the water tank is full and improve the trailer handling even more.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 5:53am
Plus one on the Andersen.... Great and super easy to setup..... love it.
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by geewizard

I should have added that I use an Anderson weight distribution/anti-sway hitch when towing with my Tundra.  I like it and very much appreciate the sway control.

I also moved my spare tire from the back to under the trailer in front of the axle by using a BAL Hide-A-Spare.  This is an effort to move more weight forward of the axle when the water tank is full and improve the trailer handling even more.

I get so many folks like the Load Leveling Hitch and I won't Say say use or not use, just be aware of what you're doing and the effects created.

To you GW, I'm surprised you have one! I have a Taco (vs. your Tundra) and today I hauled an hour away with just my new sway bar. Stopped a couple times to play with and adjust and driving normal, 60-65mph. I was going to my dealership for yet another issue, another thread.. Once there we had a good conversation about the sway bar and learned I still wasn't tight enough for the highway. So as I reached the highway I adjusted. I found it ran awesome.

What I learned today (and I'm open to other interpretation) is sway is only really required for highway speeds. There are no major turns involved. Here's where the sway does does best and should be set lighter when running byways (typically decent turns in the road).
I am finding I like this sway only more as I learn more about using it properly.

The Load Leveling Hitch, at least mine, doesn't give me this adjustability.

My mechanic checked it over and agreed, My Taco sits proper with just sway.

Just what I'm doing. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Kahonu37 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:27am
 at 2:13pm
Almost any of the small/midsize trucks would fill this bill. Likewise, I would put all of the full size trucks in the capable category. Take your pick (in no particular order) Tacoma, Colorado, Canyon, Ranger, Frontier, F-150, Silverado, Ram, Tundra.

Just look for something that can handle ~~ 5000 lb towing capacity. All of the above have models/versions that start in that vicinity. Some go way above 5000 lb.

I would add research engines and axel ratios for the TV you are looking for:
IE: 
RAM 1500 3.6 Penstar engine with standard axel ratio 3.21 =  5000 lb capacity

Same RAM with axel ratio 3.55 = 7730 lb tow capacity 
2018 179
2012 NISSAN XTERRA (retired 12/19)
2019 RAM 1500 WARLOCK (new)
A.R.E. V Series Topper
WDH Equalizer 600/6000
Kahonu37 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:35am
I would also add research engine size and axel ratio, for the TV you are looking at.

Example:

RAM 1500, 3.6 Penstar engine standard axel ratio = 5000 lb tow capacity

Same RAM with 3.55 axel ratio ($95) = 7730 lb tow capacity 
2018 179
2012 NISSAN XTERRA (retired 12/19)
2019 RAM 1500 WARLOCK (new)
A.R.E. V Series Topper
WDH Equalizer 600/6000
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Originally posted by geewizard

I get so many folks like the Load Leveling Hitch and I won't Say say use or not use, just be aware of what you're doing and the effects created.

To you GW, I'm surprised you have one! I have a Taco (vs. your Tundra) and today I hauled an hour away with just my new sway bar. Stopped a couple times to play with and adjust and driving normal, 60-65mph. I was going to my dealership for yet another issue, another thread.. Once there we had a good conversation about the sway bar and learned I still wasn't tight enough for the highway. So as I reached the highway I adjusted. I found it ran awesome.

What I learned today (and I'm open to other interpretation) is sway is only really required for highway speeds. There are no major turns involved. Here's where the sway does does best and should be set lighter when running byways (typically decent turns in the road).
I am finding I like this sway only more as I learn more about using it properly.

The Load Leveling Hitch, at least mine, doesn't give me this adjustability.

My mechanic checked it over and agreed, My Taco sits proper with just sway.

Just what I'm doing. 

I agree, the sway damping is the deal.  I don't really need the weight distribution part of my Andersen Hitch.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234