R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeight distribution hitch - Event Date: 20 Jul 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Weight distribution hitch
    Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 10:48pm
When I first got my 179, I was actually talked out of getting a WDH by the dealer because the trailer is so light and told just getting the sway bar.   What I learned is that the WDH isn't just for the tongue weight (and the sway).   I had no problem with my regular hitch with a sway bar, but what you do notice is those back roads where the trailer can rock up and down like a gallop girdy.   I finally bought and installed the 4-way equalizer hitch and just came back from a 1k round trip between Portland, OR to the boon docks up the St. Joe river in Idaho close to Montana--noticeably smoother ride.  I probably will add another washer to make it a bit firmer, still. 

Again, it's not as much for the tongue weight, but the see-saw as well (and, of course, you get sway control as well).
2016 HRE R-179 "CapPODccino"
2011 F-150 SLX
Green Sailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 2:41pm
Curious, did you make any modifications to your highlander. I am looking at trailers and my Sorento has a tow weight of 3,500 and I was wondering if I can pull a dry weight trailer at 2,800. Thanks for your input, it could help me make a decision on the tow vehicle.

Frank
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Green Sailor

Curious, did you make any modifications to your highlander. I am looking at trailers and my Sorento has a tow weight of 3,500 and I was wondering if I can pull a dry weight trailer at 2,800. Thanks for your input, it could help me make a decision on the tow vehicle.

Frank 
You don't gauge this by the empty weight of the trailer, you gauge this by the loaded weight of the trailer.  The loaded weight of the trailer is going to most likely be closer to the max weight of the trailer, which is probably in the neighborhood of 3800 lbs (don't know which R-pod you have so that is a SWAG). 

At any rate, unless you tow the trailer empty with no accessories or baggage, that is how you should gauge it. 

Off hand, I would guess that your Sorento will be overloaded.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 4:53pm
Okay, I've read through the posts and see we're still calling this 'weight' distribution. 

If Offgrid has taught me anything, it is that this is not weight distribution. The weight upon that tongue is still on that that tongue.

I fall into the group of not using that mis-named hitch and going sway only. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 7:06am
The wdh does redistribute the weight on the axles, but since it does that by creating moments (torques) around the hitch point it doesn’t actually reduce the hitch load, just changes it. Depending on your rig there could be a big benefit from doing that or it might not provide an advantage at all. For me, the wdh is a significant benefit, I use mine all the time while towing.

+1 on a 3500lb rated tow vehicle for and rPod. That is pushing things IMHO.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 12:22pm
I think Charlie pretty much nailed it!!
Swampfox
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Okay, I've read through the posts and see we're still calling this 'weight' distribution. 

If Offgrid has taught me anything, it is that this is not weight distribution. The weight upon that tongue is still on that that tongue.

I fall into the group of not using that mis-named hitch and going sway only.
The WDH does distribute the weight on the axles. It is also true that the weight on the hitch does not change. Where on the tow vehicle the weight goes is what's being distributed. 

It is kind of a double-edged sword in a way. The WDH will reduce the overall weight on the the rear axle of the tow vehicle, and distribute some to the TV front axle, and some to the axle(s) of the TT. In the process, it puts a significant amount of stress on the TV hitch and the associated frame members the hitch is attached to. I think one major concern of mine is the effect on a unibody vehicle, and whether the rear sheets of metal are strong enough to handle the torsion (and weight).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 5:06pm
To me, it's common sense to move away from 3500 tow capacity vehicles and buy at least a 5000 lb vehicle. I also am a member of the no WDH, just sway club, but I understand the advantages of a WDH on the right vehicle. Just completed a trip to TX and spotted every TT being towed improperly and obviously overloaded or not loaded correctly.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Green Sailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 11:23am
Thanks for all the information. It looks like I’m going to sell and buy a mid size truck that can tow around 7,000 lbs. any truck suggestions would be appreciated. I haven’t purchased a trailer but tow vehicle that size should cover most of the rpod.
Our pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 11:35am
I first selected my trailer, then purchased my truck, a Tacoma V6 with tow package, then bought my R-pod. The tow package with transmission and oil coolers is worth the money.
Life is good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>