R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterization
    Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 5:13pm
I'll add that you would need multiple gallons of antifreeze in your fresh water tank to get it through all of your lines.  For starters, the water pickup line isn't on the very bottom so you need to get above that level.  But by using the special antifreeze pickup line located near the water pump you'll need less than 1 gallon.  I usually use about 3/4 each year.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Aris

If you only use the water tank to hold water (i.e. never hooked up to city water), and only ever used the kitchen faucet (and olny ever used cold water), can I simplify the process by just putting antifreeze in my water tank and then running it through the kitchen faucet, then draining both tanks?

Nope.

Just because you never used the shower or the toilet, it doesn't mean that water didn't get pushed part way through the pipes leading to them.  Similarly, the line to your city water connection will be partially filled with water (the check valve is at the connection).  Don't forget your low-point drains, too - gravity ensures that they'll definitely be filled with water.  Also, your water heater tank will have partially filled, even if you've never turned on the tap for hot water.

And, don't forget about your traps - they'll likely have water in them too that must be displaced with antifreeze.

Plus, you really don't want RV antifreeze in your fresh tank.  It'll be very difficult to get the taste out come spring.

Winterizing really is very easy; a 10 minute job.  A large jug of RV antifreeze cost me $8 CDN at WalMart and is more than enough to winterize my r-pod.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Aris View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 4:23pm
Aris the newby here again.
I am used to the winterization concept and process. I also own a boat.  But reading through all these posts has me confused a bit.

I have a simple question:  If you only use the water tank to hold water (i.e. never hooked up to city water), and only ever used the kitchen faucet (and olny ever used cold water), can I simplify the process by just putting antifreeze in my water tank and then running it through the kitchen faucet, then draining both tanks?
Aris, Baltimore, MD
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 6:34pm
Will be doing some camping in November, even after Winterizing the Pod. Since I use to taking water from needs when camping in a tent, having propane to cook and have heater, Wow, a treat.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 12:35pm

Thanks, Doug- no I didn't have the pump on when I pressed the pin. Thanks. That makes sense. I'm sure it will probably be OK, but I think I will invest in the blowout plug to finish the job correctly this weekend- the extra step is worth not losing any sleep over!

John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 12:20pm
The little bit left in all of the tanks is ok, even the water tank.  You probably have less than 1/4 gallon in there and 30 gallons of room for expansion when it freezes.

Was your water system pressurized (pump on) when you pressed on the city water connection pin?  It may have a drainback preventer/valve on it (I know my popup did) so even if the rest of the system was pressurized you might not see any pink come backwards.  That is why I recommend using the blowout plug so you push any water in that little section of hose into the rest of the water system instead of trying to get any pink stuff to come out.  If you have easy access to the inside of your 'pod where the city connection is, you could look to see if its possible to temporarily disconnect that section of hose and drain it that way.
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 10:55am
We just completed our second annual winterization this weekend. Very sad Cry. My question is I did everything above and am sure that the water tank is drained, but I didn't use a blow out plug and I didn't see pink (or any) water come out when I pressed the pin in on the city water connection. Even if there is a little bit left in the tank, will I be OK, or do I have to take a wet/dry vac to it?

Also- word of caution. Remember how you leave the bypass valves when you head out in the spring. We forgot that we left it on bypass and burned out the electric heating element by turning on the hot water on our first trip.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 11:47pm
I agree, dump the tanks.  The little bit of water left in them after dumping isn't a problem.
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 7:26pm
well, I did not see it myself, the husband did. Unless I DID NOT get all out of the tanks when I dumped , then added 3 full flushes of toilet, plus 1/2/3/4 bag of ice. hmmmmmmmmm.
I do know there is dump at Sugarlands, that is where I will go after a stay in Elkmont in November.
I think I was trying to confirm my unease at leaving canned goods in Pod. I know one year I left a pack of tt in a closet and WOW, mouse nest, inflated by many times! Any pot holders with stuffing too.
Guess my dry goods have to come out too.  Really getting lazy here.

'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 1:27pm
I agree with Outbound.  If there is a concern at all about freezing, go ahead and dump your tanks.  I am sure you know there is a dump station at GSMNP Sugarlands Visitor Center.  Wink

It seems odd that your monitor would show 2/3 full, based on what you say.  I've never done the "ice thing"...I've always just added 2-3 gallons of water with the blue stuff (and much prefer the liquid over the powder).  Have a nice trip to TX!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>