R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew R-Pod 179. Question about trailer brakes - Event Date: 29 Jul 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New R-Pod 179. Question about trailer brakes
    Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 10:21pm
Hi all!  Yet another new R-Pod owner. We just picked our 179 up today and are looking forward to lots of adventures with the hubby and two great mutts. I spent a lot of time researching, but know our education will require hands on time. I do have a question about brakes though.  Somewhere I read that you really need to have trailer brakes installed.  At the dealership, the salesman said, not necessary, but the service tech who was checking us out said, "I know he said you don't need them, but you really do."   But here's the deal, we tow with a Dodge RAM 1500 with a Hemi engine, and as we towed the R-Pod through the Apppalacian mountains, the truck appeared to gear down and almost seemed to be braking downhill.  Now, we were driving slow in the right lane, but had no trouble.  So do we need to install trailer brakes?

Appreciate any and all advice,

R-Pod 179, Gone With the Wind.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 10:29pm
In a word, Yes. You do need trailer brakes for you safety and the safety of others. Your tech was right; your salesman was wrong; no surprise there! Most states require brakes on trailers 1500# GVWR and higher. All Pods fall into this category. Buy and install a good proportional brake controller such as the Tekonsha P3 and enjoy piece of mind..

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 8:24am
Yes, and the Pod is already equipped with trailer brakes.  You need to install a brake controller on your tow vehicle
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 12:48pm
Ditto what sailor323 said.  Sounds like there's some confusion on your part about brakes vs. brake controller.  By law, R-pods must have brakes because of their weight (at least in most states).  Therefore, Forest River equips them with self-adjusting electric brakes.  If you don't have a brake controller installed (as well as the proper wiring), the brakes on your trailer will not be functional. 

I can't believe a dealer would have let you purchase an RV and drive off the lot without explaining this to you, and hopefully, installing the proper equipment (or making sure that you know what to install yourself).  This is a dangerous situation.  That salesman should be given both a tongue-lashing as well as an education.  I would complain, and complain loudly, to the dealer about this.  And I probably wouldn't give them any more of my business, but would have another competent auto repair or RV dealer install a good brake controller on my tow vehicle.
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
Luv2travel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 1:24pm
Thank you both for your responses.  There was confusion on our part, but that's now cleared up. We will have the proportional break controller installed Monday.  And I've also shared your information with our friends who also have recently purchased small campers.  The dealer is not to blame.  Unfortunately our tow vehicle cannot accept an aftermarket brake controller, it must be dealer installed, so they could not install it before we left the dealership.  But all is well and we won't be towing it again without the break controller installed. 

Thanks again!

Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 2:28pm
I've never heard of a tow vehicle that cannot accept an after-market brake controller.  That doesn't sound right at all.  Some pickups come with built-in factory-installed brake controllers.  Does yours?  If so, then you already have what you need (unless you want to upgrade to a better brake controller).  If it doesn't, then I'm quite certain you can install any after-market controller you choose.  Not a bad idea to have the dealer do it if you're not comfortable working on cars, crawling around under dash boards, etc., however.

2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 2:54pm
+1
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 4:03pm
IF your Dodge has the factory trailer tow pkg, it has the wiring plug right there for the controller.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 5:48pm
Well, I THOUGHT I understood.  Look what I found on the internet; a warning bulletin.  Looks like the salesman might have been right.....

So the question is whether or not I can find an aftermarket controller or if I have to go to the dealer.  Needs more research I guess.  Meantime our RPod 179 is safely home in our driveway.
 Big smile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 5:50pm
In case that bulletin doesn't display as a .pdf, let me try again with a copy paste function:

The electrical system on the 2013 Ram trucks has changed. Though the brake control connector is the same as the 2010-2012, the wire functions have changed. The terminal that used to be the stop light signal, now has battery voltage, whenever the ignition is in the run position. According to Dodge, it is not possible to install an aftermarket electric trailer brake control into these trucks. Dodge says, that “the 2013 Ram has “Powernet” and utilizes multiplex wiring that is different from any previous design’s, therefore, your aftermarket trailer brake control is not compatible”

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>