R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew R-Pod 179. Question about trailer brakes - Event Date: 29 Jul 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New R-Pod 179. Question about trailer brakes
    Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Luv2travel

In case that bulletin doesn't display as a .pdf, let me try again with a copy paste function:

The electrical system on the 2013 Ram trucks has changed. Though the brake control connector is the same as the 2010-2012, the wire functions have changed. The terminal that used to be the stop light signal, now has battery voltage, whenever the ignition is in the run position. According to Dodge, it is not possible to install an aftermarket electric trailer brake control into these trucks. Dodge says, that “the 2013 Ram has “Powernet” and utilizes multiplex wiring that is different from any previous design’s, therefore, your aftermarket trailer brake control is not compatible”

Etrailer.com (which is a very reputable retailer of trailer towing accessories--I've purchased many parts from them over the years) has a solution to the dilemma you describe.  Here's a link:  http://www.etrailer.com/faq-tb-13-01-cequent-brake-controller-on-2013-dodge-ram.aspx
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
Luv2travel View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 8:26pm
Thank you.  Here's the final word on the problem/confusion.  Some 2013 RAM trucks with the tow package did include a trailer brake.  If it was installed, you would have two switches on the far left below the radio/gps display and above the "tow haul" switch.  We did NOT have the switches, so knew we did not have the factory trailer brake.  As it turns out RAM did try to prevent 3rd party trailer brakes by assigning different signals to the wiring than normal, but of course, the third parties figured it out and you can safely purchase 3rd party brake controllers.  I ordered the Tekonsha P-3 proportional controller and the 3023P brake control wiring adapter.  Total was about $170 and etrailer.com has a really great video showing installation (which looks easy).  The same option from RAM would be about $250 in parts and another $250 in labor - the install is not at all easy so best to have the dealer do it - but it's more integrated when finished. (From an aesthetics standpoint I mean).

Thank you again to all the senior members who posted help on this one.  We are REALLY newbies and only hope to minimize our mistakes.

Happy Trails!!!

Linda
R-Pod 179, Gone With the Wind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12