R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRefrigerator on battery and propane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator on battery and propane
    Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 4:24pm
I have an RP 178, with the Dometic Refrigerator. How long can I run the Refrigerator on battery and propane do you think if I don't use the lights, bathroom, fans, etc? Doing rustic camping, want to use fridge and still be able to close my slide out before I leave. I am pretty green whenergy it comes to this stuff.

Thanks,
Lori
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 5:07pm
If you have the usually supplied, single, group 24 battery, the fridge will run about 2 hours on 12v.

If you have the usually supplied, single, 20 gallon propane tank, the fridge will run 6-8 weeks on propane.

Important to know: No matter what mode the fridge is in, it MUST have 12v to operate. So don't run the battery dead and think... "I will just switch to propane..."
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 6:24pm
Not much I can add to that except this is my 1,000th official post! Big smile

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 6:49pm
when we had our tent trailer, one of the best things I ever did was by a Honda 1000 generator.  I now have a 2000 so we can use the microwave in the rPod, but the peace of mind with a quiet generator is very nice.  I know - I have joined the ranks - but it is very peaceful there.
myownskin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 7:44pm
So, don't use the refrigerator unless you have a way too charge the battery, which I don't. This is what I seem to have read ;)
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by myownskin

So, don't use the refrigerator unless you have a way too charge the battery, which I don't. This is what I seem to have read ;)

Not so. You can use the fridge on propane. It only sips propane and uses very little current from the 12V system. IMO the 12V option on the fridge has no real use and will drain the battery very very quickly, even while driving with the 7 pin Bargman connected.

The big user of propane and 12V current is the furnace. Also note that if you do run the battery down it can be recharged enough to retrieve the slide by running the TV 10-15 minutes with the fridge on propane.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Originally posted by myownskin

Not so. You can use the fridge on propane. It only sips propane and uses very little current from the 12V system. IMO the 12V option on the fridge has no real use and will drain the battery very very quickly, even while driving with the 7 pin Bargman connected.

The big user of propane and 12V current is the furnace. Also note that if you do run the battery down it can be recharged enough to retrieve the slide by running the TV 10-15 minutes with the fridge on propane.

+1

Using your tow vehicle to recharge your batteries is an all too often overlooked option.  It's simple, effective, and cheap.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 10:56pm
WillThrill,

Recharging with the TV is certainly simple and cheap, but it might not be too effective. I recommend recharging through the 7 pin Bargman only in an emergency and only to bring in the slide. Due to the long length of #12 or #10 wire used in most TVs the best you can expect is 10-15 Amps, dropping quickly as the battery begins to charge. The more effective way is to use heavy gauge jumper cables directly from TV battery to TT battery. I ran some tests on a 50% discharged battery using 20 ft. #4 copper jumper cables and got 69A initially. Even after 35 minutes it was still charging at 28A. The jumpers are more of a hassle, but far more effective than the 7 pin connector. For comparison the on board charger plugged into shore power only achieved 38A to start and also dropped off quickly. However the on board charger will charge to 13.6 or 14.4 volts whereas the jumper method is limited to a little over 13 due to the built in limits of the auto charging system.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
myownskin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 12:02am
So, if the refrigerator is running on propane it doesn't use the battery? For some reason I thought it doesn't run on propane alone and needed the battery as well, and if the battery only lasts two hours? Guess that is two hours
solely on battery power.

And if on accident I do run the battery down I cam recharge it with the tv, interesting... I will look closer at the other posts as well, so much to learn.

Lori
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 4:37am
Unless you have shore power, run the fridge on propane. The propane is what will keep it cold. The fridge has LED indicator lights and a contol board that use battery power even when the fridge is on propane but the battery usage is minute and relatively inconsequential.

For dry camping your single 12v battery will last maybe 4 days before needing recharging. If you're going to be out that long you need some kind of plan to recbarge.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>