R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed177 vs 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 177 vs 179
    Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 12:08pm

177 vs 179

Hi everyone,

I am hoping for some sage advice from Rpod owners!  I am trying to decide between a 177 or 179…..we are going to purchase in another week or so.

179--pros, to me, are more storage—especially a closet!  The additional counter space is nice. Cons—I dislike the shape and location of the dinette. The table looks small in the pics (perhaps additional counter is at the sacrifice of some table size)  and it doesn’t look great for a second bed—too many cushions cobbled together. 

177- pros -- nicer dinette location and layout (bit larger table?)…..for some reason I think this will be a better second bed.   The smaller size (of the trailer) is nice also, but perhaps this is so minimal it is not significant.  Con—no closet!! 

There are other considerations, but the lack of closet in 177 and the dinette in 179 are the aspects that keep nagging me.   We might consider the 180, but it also has no closet?  We will probably be using this trailer for 2-3 weeks at a time, not using the second bed consistently but on occasion. 

I have searched and read on this forum, but thought it would be worth asking about my specific concerns.  So, thank you in advance for any thoughts or advice—it is much appreciated!

john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 2:21pm
The larger transverse kitchen in the 179 is a real bonus.  The dinette table now resides in the green house.  I made a pedestal table that slides around, and stows on the bed.  Much handier.  One could figure out how to use and store a piece of plywood for a bed frame if needed.  Window in the door has been added, as well as 2 step steps.  A foam mattress topper from Costco , cut to size, made the bed the best in the house.  Closet isn't big enough but is a good start.  We went from a tent camper, and the 179 is luxury.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 3:39pm
Why not a 178?Pretty much the same as a 177, only a foot and half longer.. more storage. And no ugly butt. We have never used hanging storage or closet type clothes when camping. The dinette bed in a 177 or 178 is going to be better then the one in a 179. At least according to nearly every 179 owner.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 4:03pm
We have a 179 and really love it. I use the closet a lot and the draw under it are great storage. The large kitchen is really nice also with a lot of cabinet storage.I like the couch/dinette though my wife and I usually camp alone so we do not try to use it as a extra bed. The slide out really opens up the middle of the pod so we have quite a bit of room, much more than our previous 171.
I would suggest wandering through the 177,178 and 179. Sit in the seats, lay on the bed and see how it all feels and decide from there.
Good luck
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Kayaker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 4:48pm
Thanks for the replies--

furpod--I noted a 180 was an option--but after reading your reply I realized I meant  the 178--I think it is a possibility also.  Still no closet--in a previous motor home and our sailboat there are small closets which I use....so this is a consideration for me.

john in idaho and Leo B--good to read your thoughts after owning the 179.  Changing out the table would be an option.  I am going to try and sit in all 3 next week and make a final decision!!  Hopefully!

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Kayaker

Thanks for the replies--

furpod--I noted a 180 was an option--but after reading your reply I realized I meant  the 178--I think it is a possibility also.  Still no closet--in a previous motor home and our sailboat there are small closets which I use....so this is a consideration for me.

john in idaho and Leo B--good to read your thoughts after owning the 179.  Changing out the table would be an option.  I am going to try and sit in all 3 next week and make a final decision!!  Hopefully!

The advantage or "pro" of the 180 revolves around the dry bath.. very popular for those who spend a lot of time in there, or have need of more room getting in and out of the shower. But you give up a sleepable dinette.. unless it's a small(ish) grandchild.. Wink

Sitting in as many as possible is good. We spent time in every floor plan there was except the bunk models when we did our research.
scentralmt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 12:16am
I have a 177, here is a picture of my closet.

i got a solid closet rod and cut it to the width wall to wall, we can hang somethings and use the hanging shelves for smaller stuff.  Just slide it to the bathroom side and it is less in the way that the foldable hanger that came with the Pod
Curtis
Curtis
2014 177
2001 F150
Kayaker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 8:31am
scentralmt--Great idea with the hanging rod that goes entirely across.   I didn't know that any foldable hanger came the with pod......

furpod--  I agree---I am going back-- yet again-- to sit in the different models.  Now that I have begun to narrow my choices and focus on my concerns this will be more beneficial than the first time--I think!  

Thanks again to everyone for the thoughts and ideas.
TigerPawd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 11:34am
We have a #179 and love it - except for that bed/dining area.  It requires five cushions to switch over for sleeping - five cushions which shift during the night, and because the table doesn't drop to the right height, there is a good-sized bump in the cushions.

We called Forest River and ordered a cushion cover that matches the biggest cushion and got foam locally.  We discarded those goofy corner cushions. Then we got a piece of plywood to use as a slide out and we added some rubbery shelf liner to keep the cushions from slipping at night.  Pictures and some measurements are elsewhere on the forum. 

We got a couple of folding tables at Target.  They stow on the floor between those two hassock-type things when traveling and are easy to put up for eating.  And they are easier to take outside than that original equipment table, which is now in our attic. 

The only drawback we see from the conversion is that the new cushion, which is now a backrest on the bed/dining area, blocks some of the view to the outside.  The #179 is already a little short on window area so that bothers my wife.  All in all, not a bad trade off though, and sleeping on the two cushions is a lot better than five. 
Joan, Jerry and the two Pugs
2015 R-Pod 179
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 1:21pm
The early (rings) 177's came with this arrangement.. Pretty easy to retrofit if wanted I would think..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>