Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMY RP-179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: MY RP-179
    Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 4:32pm
I want the 179, and shall have one. But in researching and looking at different campers I have decided there's a few things I wish were done differently. I'll probably get a 2017 179 and down the road make these changes. 

First, I love the big kitchen, but I'd have done a full range and oven instead of the cook top/microwave. 

Second, since I'd no longer need the microwave (who would cook in a microwave when camping?) I'd like a full refrigerator instead of the 4 cubic foot job. 

Third, the Jayco Hummingbird has 3 things I wish the R-Pod came with, power Awning (with LEDs), Power Tongue Jack, and the Outside Grill Mount and propane hookup. 

So that would be just about the perfect camper for my wife and I ... someday I may just have it all put together that way. 
Clap
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 6:54pm
Some of those things will be available in the latest pod iterations.

Something to consider with the full range + oven, it will take up a lot of storage space, but you can always put things in the oven when it isn't being used.  We do.  Just be sure to remove before preheating... did that at home years ago with a decorated gingerbread house sitting in the oven....

Something else to consider about removing the microwave, there are 2 ways to use a camper.  One is to camp.  The other is to tour and use it as a mobile hotel room.  We've done a lot of both over the years and love to use our slow cooker when camping.  But out on the road after a long day exploring a park or city it is nice to come home and just throw something quick into the microwave.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 7:01pm
Don't forget, that microwave is also a convection oven.

The regular gas "range" has been retrofitted by several owners now.

Adding the pluming on the gas line for an outside grill costs $20 in parts.

As Doug said, the rest will be on the next generation of pods coming out..
SuperDudeAbides View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 9:53pm
Yea I saw all the additions to the 17 mid year update, however I saw it after I posted this. Glad I missed on the 2016 we went to look at, I'd have missed all the updates. I even like the new color.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 11:11pm
Sounds like the OP needs to tow a chuck wagon behind the POD LOL 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 9:16pm
Yeee-haw!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
layne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 9:50pm
 I wish the R-pod made a Quieter heater and AC unit.  They are both very LOUD for such a small trailer. If anyone has any easy solutions for this problem I would welcome the advice.  We spent our first 4 nights in our new R-pod and our sleep was terrible due to the heater coming on and waking us up.  
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 10:29pm
One thing that helps us is to run a fan. The constant noise of the fan helps mask the on and off of the heater. We place a fan at the base of the bed near the wardrobe in our 179. That helps pull hot air out from under the bed and circulate it better. By having it at the wardrobe side, the other side is clear for cold air return.

The second thing (if you have a 179) is to sleep with your head toward the wardrobe end, not the dinette end. This accomplishes two things. First, your heads are farther away from the heater. Second, the wall helps cut the noise from the AC unit.

Third, when you run the AC, set the fan on low or high. Then the fan will run constantly instead of cycling on and off and switching between low and high speeds like it does when it is on auto. The compressor noise is minimal. The constant fan noise is easier to get used to. I also took the shroud off and put a piece of thin closed-cell foam on the sliding cover inside. That seems to cut the noise some also. I put a piece on each of the end flaps also, but I don't think that did as much as the bigger piece on the sliding cover. I made sure it would still slide properly. If you decide to do this, there are more screws holding the shroud on than you would think. They are front and back, inside the side covers, and two more sets in the perforated section. I think there were eight in all.

Otherwise, you will get used to the sounds in time. It is like sleeping next to railroad tracks. After a while, the sound becomes normal and you don't notice it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
layne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 10:48pm
Thanks!  I will purchase the loudest fan I can find and place it under the bed.  I will save your comments about improving the AC unit for a summer project.   We are still trying to figure everything out.   Wink 

john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 11:27am
The rPod stays fairly warm without using the furnace over nite.  We have sleeping bags instead of sheets but with real pillows.  And runner rugs on the floors.  About 6am one can reach up and lite off the furnace and have everything all toasty by the time the coffee quits perking.  One doesn't linger long for nite time forays to the facility.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>