R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnacceptable Quality Control on New 179

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unacceptable Quality Control on New 179
    Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 7:12am
Greetings, We are 2nd generation pod owners.  In 2010 we purchased a new 171 which came from the factory absolutely perfect.  We felt we needed a little more room so we ordered a 179 which we picked up a few days ago.
Our run through occurred in the service bay sort of late in the day and since we were familiar with the systems we just sort of glossed over many of the details that we were shown with our 171.  When we arrived home and I stood back and looked over the pod-whoa-what a mess!
First and foremost, the axle is mounted off center.  It is almost a full inch shifted to the left so that the outside of the left wheel extends outside the fender while the right side is tucked inside the fender.  The mounting brackets were welded incorrectly and short of grinding these off and re-welding, we need a new axle.
Secondly, the passenger side outlet and side marker lights are mounted canted.  Both are out about 1/4 to 3/8's of an inch and just look horrible.  The door for under bed storage is twisted so that the only way that the front of the door is not proud of the side of the camper is to lock it.  I realize this is a long door but I never had to lock the doors on my 171 to get them to seat flush.
I went to install the sewer hose in its holder and I could not open the hatch.  I then realized that the tube was mounted backwards so the door was right side of the camper instead of the left!  
Finally, I decided to look at the hot water set up under the bed, which we didn't do at the dealership since the service guy assured me it was the same as on my 171.  Well, the plywood (luan), covering the access is screwed down from one end of the camper to the other.  In order to get to the hot water heater one would have to remove the mattress and unscrew the entire sheet of plywood.  The 171 had the plywood split so you could lift up the mattress and "wedge"the plywood against it which allowed you to flush or fill the water heater and winterize the system.  
So... not a very good beginning to our new camper.  I want to know who is smoking crack at the factory.  Granted, I should have picked up some of this at the initial run-through, and so should have the dealership people doing the pre-sale prep work-after all isn't that what the prep fee is for?  I think they were just too busy trying to sell me this teflon foam coating that repels everything including old age.
I love the features that the 179 brings over our 171 but I sure hope that all these flaws can be corrected  and this is not a indication of future problems.
Dave F.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 9:20am
Welcome to the group! Sounds like we started the same with our pods. In late 2009 we bought our 2010 171 and loved it but wanted a little more room so in 2014 we bought a 2015 179. Again we we fortunate to have a couple of very minor issues that were dealt with under warranty.
My first move would be bring it back and address the issues under warranty through the dealership. As you say you paid a dealer prep fee....................they need to earn that!
Good luck!

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 1:42pm
we have been thinking of trading  our 175 in on a 180 if we decide to do this will take our time and check it out before we leave
thanks for letting us know what to look out  for  
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 7:33pm
Welcome.  I agree those issues need to be corrected - and should have either been caught by QC at FR or worst-case by the dealer upon inspection before you arrived to pick it up.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Plantguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 11:36am
Hi Dave,
Join the club. My axle bent 2 months after I bought it, Oneshort trip to a friends house...The dealer would not help. FR is impossible to get ahold of. Have you a FR phone number? I would like to start an action group concerning these axle issues. If the new 179 is using a different axle than the Lippart, it is probably for a good reason.
Ken ( Plantguy)
Life is too important to be taken seriously!i
 Post Reply Post Reply