FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClose encounter w/ an EF-1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Close encounter w/ an EF-1
    Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 5:52am

Monday evening was both interesting and active. I happened to have the TV news on and the weather person was watching a storm cell in my area. They mentioned that radar indicated rotation.
Being a storm spotter, I turned on my radio and a storm spotter net was organizing. I decided to go outside and see what the sky was doing. In less than a minute, over the tree tops (about 40-50 yards away), there it was! I was looking at an EF-1 tornado…..and it was coming right at me!!! No time to call anything in. All I could do was grab Dixie (my dog) and run for the interior bathroom in my house.

After the noise subsided, I went outside for a look. My property looked OK and my immediate neighbors looked OK. 2 houses away and continuing West, there was a lot of damage. Trees down, the road was blocked and there were a whole lot of sirens heading my way. The neighborhood quickly filled with firefighters and law enforcement. This was shortly followed by the TV news crews and helicopters. This was shortly followed by the commercial tree, roofing and siding contractors, along with the utility crews. I “changed hats” and began and damage assessment for local emergency management.

Thankfully, nobody was killed or injured and the damage could have been worse. There were no warnings/sirens, etc. But, this was not a failure on anyone’s behalf. This thing just formed up and struck too quickly for that to happen. My hat is off to the first responders, who were there quickly and on top of the situation. Also, the utilities who have been working around the clock to get things back to normal. The “system” has worked – just as it is supposed to.

Be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye on the sky….cause you just never know.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:04am
Wow, you never know! Glad you and Dixie are safe!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:23pm
Ditto, glad it didn't come down quicker.  I know that's nothing to mess with - I wish I had a storm shelter in my house and I'm not in tornado alley.  I bet the net was surprised to hear you report that the funnel went right over your head!  Hope you have a generator and can share some power.

Funny you posted this, I had a full-feature home weather station delivered 2 days ago and 3 Reecom weather radios are on the way.  Haven't installed the weather station yet.  The weather radios will be set to only alarm for a tornado warning and they'll go in our house, my wife's classroom (in an outside trailer) and my office.  I'm responsible for a building with 5000 people in it during emergencies so I need to know ASAP if I need to activate shelter-in-place.  I've meant to get these for years but as with many things it never happened until we got a tornado warning in June, which kicked me into gear.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 5:14pm

At times like that, I wish I had a basement. The best that I can do is a bathroom, in the center of the house (with no windows).

Good move on the weather station and radios. I figure, in regards to that kind of stuff, is - it is better to have them and not need them, than it is to need them and not have them. Kind of like a fire extinguisher, I buy, but hope to never use it.

Generator wise, I have two: one 2000 watt inverter (Champion) and one 2500 watt non-inverter (Coleman). While not enough to run the heat pump or well pump, they can run the "must haves". I really need to look into something that would handle the well. In the mean time, I keep about 15-20 gallons of "bottled" water on hand (always). I've been entertaining an idea of a rain water catch system/tank with a smaller pump.       With this, I could potentially not need a large generator. While not potable, it could be used for sanitation, laundry and bathing. (I suppose, in a pinch, I could boil it and drink it)

Things are mostly back to normal. However, I do see a little more "sky" than I used to (due to the tree damage). The National Weather Service surveyed the area and determined it to be an EF-1 and I agree. Most of what I saw was EF-1, with some approaching EF-2. Let's call it the high end of EF-1.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Leo B

Wow, you never know! Glad you and Dixie are safe!!

Thanks, Leo (from Dixie, too)!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 7:27pm
I'm in the same boat shelter-wise.  No basement, with our best option a windowless pantry in the middle of the 1st floor.  I've considered digging a pit in the crawlspace directly below the pantry and installing a trap door in the floor but that would be a lot of labor.

Everything is installed and programmed.  Looking forward to the weekly test on Wed to see if they all pick it up.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 4:59pm
Should be a pit..........more of a man cave, with refrigeration and of course beer!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 6:13pm
Been through several hurricanes including Andrew in South Florida and Sandy here in New Jersey. As scary as they were, hurricanes give you time to prepare. Tornadoes and earthquakes don't or, at most, just a minute or two. Weather alerts (radio and apps) and a good radar app or two are invaluable. I carry a WX radio in the pod at all times.

Glad you're safe!

Leo, my wife thinks the refrigerator in the basement is for winter vegetables...heh, heh, heh. I got some great cucumber coolies for the 12 ouncers! LOL

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 6:48pm
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Leo B View Drop Down