R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater leak at Air Spoiler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water leak at Air Spoiler
    Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 4:24pm
Discovered evidence of a leak on the rear panel over the bed of our Rpod (2011 RPT177).  The amount of water is small, but it is a leak nonetheless. The spoiler is right above the panel and sure enough it has lifted up on on each edge and in several locations along the leading and trailing edge of the spoiler.   I tested the screws that are supposed to be holding the spoiler on and they turn freely not engaging competent wood.  With a lot of effort I was able to tease out a couple of screws and they are corroded. Obviously they have passed water through to the wood spar underneath the roof.   The spoiler design seems to be very poor.  No effort was made to prevent water movement at each screw and once the screws lost their grip the spoiler was destined to lift allowing large quantities of water to move in between the spoiler and the roof.  There is apparently a significant hole in the roof where the wiring to the lights on the spoiler passes.  That is what I believe was the pathway for the water to the interior panel.

I have applied a temporary patch to the lifted areas to prevent any more water movement but would like some advice.  Anyone had this problem?  Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.  Should I tear into the interior paneling to check the condition of the spar that the spoiler is screwed into?  Ouch
Bob & Cindy
San Francisco Wine Country
RPod 177
Nissan Titan
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 4:55pm
Yes, there have been many leaky spoilers. Not really sure why FR sticks with it, they just keep pumping them out. My spoiler looks like the ruffles potato chip company made it. I just keep gouping on the Dicor. Soon I am going to replace the whole unit and hopefully that will improve things. 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
bobt49 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 9:54pm
Good description - ruffles potato chip - what were they thinking putting those things on?  Doomed to fail. I am going to try Eternabond roof sealant tape to hold the whole thing on, since the screws have failed,  and hopefully stop the leaks.  Have researched it pretty thoroughly and that sealant tape looks like it might do.  Still concerned about the shape the wood rafter is in.  
Bob & Cindy
RPod 177
Nissan Titan
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 10:23pm
My spoiler looks like the screws were over tightened which pulled that point inward and distorted the shape causing big arches to form between each fastener. 

Hmm, geez the rafters? I wound't want to go there, but if I did I suppose it would have to be from the inside. 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
bobt49 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 10:30pm
Me to.  I'm going to think long and hard about digging into it.  Am hoping someone on the forum has a lot of experience in this issue.  Hopefully, just stopping the leak and securing everything is enough.

I think the screws on mine were overtightened also.  Did you discover yours before any water had leaked through?
Bob & Cindy
RPod 177
Nissan Titan
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 10:38pm
I have not read about anybody tearing open the roof for repairs. 

Yes, I inspect and reseal every inch of my POD twice a year. On our 3rd season and so far no signs of leaks, but I do have a lot of goop on the spoiler. 

I have a brand new one waiting to install. Still thinking about how I am going to do it. I would love to just get rid of it, but then I would have all of those holes in the roof to content with. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 8:40pm
Personally I would remove the spoiler and completely seal up the hole with just the wire hanging out, so the spoiler isn't the weatherproof part of the equation.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 7:05am
Originally posted by techntrek

Personally I would remove the spoiler and completely seal up the hole with just the wire hanging out, so the spoiler isn't the weatherproof part of the equation.

I'm thinking the high center brake light, of some sort, is required. No?
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
bobt49 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 11:16am
I am definitely taking the spoiler off and plugging the wire access hole so it is water tight like techntrek suggests.  I found a reference that indicated the hole could be 3 or 4 inches in diameter.  Unbelievable.  I think the high brake light is a requirement so gotta put the spoiler back.  Also it is probably necessary to cover the wire access hole too.  My main problem right now is getting the 15 -20 screws out to remove the spoiler.  So far only one of four actually bites into anything and unscrews.  It is very awkward and frustrating job.  I can't really get into it until next week.  Will let you know how it proceeds.  
Bob & Cindy
RPod 177
Nissan Titan
densmorema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 1:35pm
I was lucky and caught ours before we had a problem, l was was looking on the roof 2 months after we bought it and noticed cracks in the caulk so I called the dealer cause I know it doesn't take much to make a water path plus they did not leave any weep hole in the spoiler in case water got behind it. Well the dealer added some screws and recaulked it, looks like they did a good job.That was 2 years ago and haven't had a problem.Good luck with yours and happy camping.
Mike and Cherie
Michigan
2015 R179 2016 silverado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>