R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone have experience with sat phones?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone have experience with sat phones?
    Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 10:32pm
Our primary cell phones are on AT&T.  I kept our landline for many years more than we needed it for emergency calls - if AT&T is down, I want a backup.  3-4 years ago I converted the landline to a prepaid Verizon phone.  Still had redundancy, cheaper than the landline plan we were on, plus the Verizon phone could go with us on trips.

Over the last 4 summers we spent a lot of time during our trips outside of AT&T or Verizon coverage, and I often thought a satellite phone could be useful in an emergency.  We spent a 2 1/2 hour stretch in west Texas where I passed several locals on the side of the road out of gas, standing on the cab of their truck trying to get a signal (there was none - nor was there any gas during that stretch).  We did run out of gas in eastern Montana, but we were lucky that time.

My annual renewal for our Verizon phone is coming up and on a whim I started doing research on the various sat phone systems, phones and pricing.  Turns out a used phone would only be a few hundred bucks and either a prepaid card or the smallest monthly plan wouldn't be much more than we are paying each year for the Verizon phone.

So, anyone have experience with these things?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:48am
I kind of like the looks of this gizmo..

Sat Comms..

It also looks like a rental might be an option, so you only have to deal with it during your long trips..
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 10:57am
My unit had one for a while a few years back, but it didn't work really well in Northern Vermont/New Hampshire so we got rid of it.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 12:04pm
I considered renting for trips, $35/wk plus air time so affordable for emergency backup (and keep the Verizon phone).  A good option.

Leo, do you know which system it was on?  Globalstar had major system issues from around 2008 to 2012 with many of their satellites failing early.  They have all-new satellites now.
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 1:25pm
check out consumer cell.  My son went with them 2 mo. ago and likes them has service where he lives in the country now he didn't have on the att or vis.
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 2:34pm
Have you considered a Satellite Messenger like the Spot Gen 3 or a PLB 
their are plusses and minuses to both a PLB and a satellite messenger and on going cost. I'm not recommending one or the other but the REI link below might help you decide if one is right for you.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 2:36pm
Can't remember who the state had the contract with but it was back in 2008-2009 before I retired. 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:41pm
Sat phones can be rented via the internet, and then they also cost several bucks a minute to use.  They are expensive to rent.  I have used them on occasion for almost a decade in the remote backcountry wilderness (for work) south of Yellowstone NP as a safety back up communication to a VHF/UHF hand held radio that don't work well in those remote locations unless you are on top of a mountain.   The sat phones have saved several lives around here that I know about.   Every hunting outfitter in the wilderness areas here has at least one in camp, and every year they save someone's life or help greatly in extrication of seriously injured or ill people from the backcountry.
They work pretty well indeed, unless the battery goes dead, or you drop them in the spring or creek.  Been there, done both of those.
They don't come cheap, and the need vs the cost is a big factor.  Not for casual phone conversations unless you are wealthy.  I don't carry one on my own nickel. 
I just drove thru Yellowstone today and my cell phone didn't work most of the time.  I don't think it worth getting a sat phone for that minor factor. In fact, I sure like watching the frustrated kids who's cell phones don't work there at most of the Yellowstone attractions.......
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 8:32pm
Thanks for the link.  I probably should have had a SPOT device many years ago.

codycountry - I agree a sat phone wouldn't be used as a normal cell phone replacement.  Partly due to cost, partly because incoming calls are problematic (for several reasons).  Good post.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 7:46am

Another reason to get your amateur radio license. Some stations are equipped with "autopatch" or "phonepatch", which allows you to connect to the telephone system. If an operator/station is not equipped, nearly all would likely make a "courtesy/distress call" for you.

Depending on your location, there may not be any VHF/UHF repeaters nearby but, with a General license or better, you'll always find someone on the HF freqs.

"Autopatch" was very popular in the "pre-cell phone" days but, not as common today. It was also used quite a bit by military personnel to "phone home" and get to speak with their families (MARS).

Between this and   OnStar, I can always get in contact with someone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>