Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New rp180 owner startup questions
    Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 2:12pm
Welcome.  I agree about mounting higher brake lights on campers (should be true for 18 wheelers, too).  More than enough proof that 3rd brake lights on cars have reduced accidents over the last 20+ years.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Blue Highways View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 10:21am
Pod hopper... you're going thru the pre-Pod expenses exactly the way we did. Several hundred in pod stuff purchased before we actually spent time in the Pod! I followed the usual advice, did many Pod mods that we all do.

My main concern was where to put the more realistic sized Rhino Flex black water hose & parts that we all end up needing. I didn't want it in the underside storage mixed with fresh water hoses, chock blocks & corner pads, lawn chairs, etc. and didn't even want this black water evacuation hosing riding near the cheap starter blue hose that we only use for the Gray (soapy) water drain. (The blue hose rides in the original R-pod hitch housing tube, along with our trailer hitch ball lock when we go for a day trip.) But the Rhino Flex BLACK hose won't ever fit in there.

I came up with this: I re-purposed our "spare wheel mount" bike rack from our 2nd-gen Honda CRV (these bike racks are also often on Jeeps with the rear spare wheel). They are also "Craigslistable". Since the rear spare tire mounted on WanderPod should not carry much weight, I thought that it could carry the black water hose contraptions instead, and not contaminate the precious lower underbed storage cavity.

On the re-purposed bike rack, I swung out the bike attach arms and cut a wood platform, and attached it to the bike-holding arms, and painted the board black. Then, I bought a durable black tool box called "KOBALT" from Wal mart ($30) and thru-bolted it to the new carrier board permanently with nuts, bolts loops through to two metal plates inside, so it rides lightly and permanently on the bike rack arms.

In goes the the hose, the water treatment packages, the sewer cap removal tool, latex gloves. The box latches securely is pretty much water tight and blends in cohesively with the black spare tire & cover. (I even put a small padlock on it and labelled it SEWER HOSE inconspicuously, in case anybody thinks there's a cache of tools in there).

To complete the mod, I thought, "what a great place for the safety of a needed third brake light!." From Ebay came a very cheap but durable LED light bar, ($12) about the length and thickness as a ruler. It is mounted to the outside of the tool box with two short tap screws, and I just ran paired wiring to tap into the brake lights. The wiring enters into the back of the tool box at the top edge. Now I have a third centered brake light, positioned above, and forward of the Pod brake lights.

It worked out really well. The bike rack/hose carrier lifts off in one unit should we really need the spare tire, and brake light wires have a disconnect plug right there. The hose & plastic tool box weighs hardly anything, so no significant add'l load on the spare tire & bracket. 

And, the third LED brake light that rides on this tool box protects us in a sudden highway braking situation. I really do think that the R-Pod should have a third brake light, even though the regular LED lights are plenty bright. With your running lights they brighten with your brakes, but this third brake light, ONLY illuminates from 'dark' when the brakes are applied, a more direct alert to followers. Out of pocket was less than $70, and it almost looks like an integrated factory option.

Anyway, the upshot is, this mod may not appeal to your concerns, but if you have a little experimental "tinkering" in you (and a weekend day available for such), get creative with any mod that makes the camping happier & safer in your new 180 Pod! Life is short, get outside, right?

There are no unimportant jobs,
no unimportant people,
no unimportant acts of kindness.

( And as always, happiness is an inside job.)
Pod Hopper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Pod Hopper

Yes, already over $200 into it and haven't even received delivery on our 180 yet! Plus another $200 in my Amazon cart waiting for the trigger to be pulled!

Trigger pulled!

So many suggestions, so little budget!
2017 rp-180
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 8:23am
I definitely have taken advantage of my Prime membership, both with purchases for our house and purchases for our R-Pod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
blimey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Pod Hopper

Yes, already over $200 into it and haven't even received delivery on our 180 yet! Plus another $200 in my Amazon cart waiting for the trigger to be pulled!

Sounds just like us.LOL
Pod Hopper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 9:43pm
2017 rp-180
blimey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by fwunder

Congratulations Pod Hopper!!

My biggest suggestion is to make sure your Amazon account is in good standing and you are friends with the UPS man! Wink

You may click the link in my signature to witness my addiction.

fred
this made me chuckle. As a new soon to be owner I already have a huge list in my Amazon prime list and a few things on the way.......truer words were never spoken!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 3:11pm
Congratulations Pod Hopper!!

My biggest suggestion is to make sure your Amazon account is in good standing and you are friends with the UPS man! Wink

You may click the link in my signature to witness my addiction.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 8:33am
I tried using a section of 2x6 lumber under the Andersen in my driveway. It did not work as the Andersen leveler would slip out. There was not enough friction between it and the 2x6 to hold it in place. I went back to using the BAL.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 12:24am
FWIW, I usually carry a couple of 2x8s around 2' long.  They occasionally come in handy when I need a little more solid footing under stabilizers .. or a little more lift under the Anderson.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>