Topic ClosedShower usage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shower usage
    Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:31pm
+1, buy like David I opt for flip flops for the CG showers.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
JGMM_BC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 1:07pm
It's just my wife and I so we went with the 180 because of the size of the bathroom. For us it offered some extra storage space and we didn't have to deal with having our knees around our heads when using the facilities or damp TP. If you have full hook ups the shower gets daily use as we don't have to worry about filling the GW tank. If we don't have full hook-ups we use the CG showers (with our shower sandals).

Just a thought.
Jean-Guy & Jennifer
2017 RP-180 "Lilly"
2010 Mitsubishi Outlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 4:36pm
Two things lead to damp toilet paper. One is forgetting to take it out of the shower first. The second is (at least in the RP-179) the black water tank flush seems to have a backflow prevention device that will leak water when the pressure is removed. I was wondering why we had a wet roll since we had not forgotten to remove the roll. Then I saw the device on the blackwater flush line. The next time I used the flush fitting, I checked. Sure enough, there was water in the shower area. This time, I had removed the roll first, so it stayed dry.

I had repurposed an over-the-tank spare roll holder, mounting it on the cut-out under the sink after reinforcing the edge. It works well, but we do have to remember to remove the roll as needed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 4:48pm
On our R-179 I have used the black water tank flush several times and I have had no backup into the shower, sink or anywhere else. 
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 9:07pm
Hi! We have a 179 too. How does the black water flush work and do you do it after every septic dump? We can't find info on how to do it! Thanks.
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 11:07pm
The black water flush port is on the side near the door above the fender. To use it, you simply connect a hose to it and turn the faucet on. Don't use your fresh water hose! You don't want to take the risk of contaminating it. Use the BW flush to spray water in the BW tank while you are emptying it. It will help flush out things that the initial dumping misses. While not recommended, you can close the dump valve and let the water run to fill the tank. If you do, monitor closely so that you pull the dump valve and empty it before the tank fills to overflowing. This will help clean off the sensors also.
Depending on what type of tank treatment you use, you may not need to use the BW flush every time. Some products use bacteria and enzymes to help break things down. Some of these specify not to flush the tank every time so that the bacteria presumably have something on which to work.

As for the water escaping from the line, it is clear water, not sewage. I think it is when pressure is released. I am going to take a closer look at it and try to get some pictures, which I will post.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
JGMM_BC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 6:15am
The gray and black water systems are completely isolated from each other and should not impact each other. The only issue where the BW could contaminate the GW is if the dump hose got clogged while dumping BW waste and you had left your GW valve open. Which you should never do anyway as you dump your BW first and then your GW to help clean out the hose.

We were told that before you empty your BW to fill it up to at least 2/3 to 3/4 full, using the flush on the toilet, to make sure there is lots of water in the tank to help flush everything out. You use the BW flush as you are emptying the tank or once the tank is done to just get that any residual gunk out.
Jean-Guy & Jennifer
2017 RP-180 "Lilly"
2010 Mitsubishi Outlander
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 9:01am
Originally posted by 12bar

wonder if the dry bath is really that big of a deal.

The answer is both yes and no.

To be honest, the only additional work to a wet bath is a 60-second squeegee after the last person showers.  Wet toilet paper hasn't been a problem for me - I located the holder on the back wall behind the toilet, about head-high when sitting on the throne, over the left shoulder; when using the toilet, its easy enough to access, and the roll is well protected by the shower curtain when the shower is in use.

But, a wet bath is cramped, and I generally end up sitting on the (closed) toilet lid for most of a shower.  Plus, there is the extra work of wiping down the bathroom which gets tiresome on a two week vacation.

Do I use campground showers?  Sometimes.  I'm not adverse to them.  But, I like the convenience of my own shower.  And it comes in handy in unorganized campgrounds, or in the spring/fall before the facilities are even open, or when I'm on the road and have stopped for a swim or a sweaty hike.

My advice: get the separate shower.  Its more convenient; you're on vacation - keeping things simple is better.  Plus, with a shower, you've got somewhere to dry out wet jackets / clothes when its raining outside.

Bonus advice: get a Oxygenics shower head.  They're a bit expensive, but the quality of the shower is much better while conserving water at the same time.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 10:46pm
Okay. I got a picture. The black object is what I am talking about. It does not leak while pressure is on the hose. However, when pressure is removed, I have seen water, and it appears to be coming from this device. The reason I know this is that twice I have ended up with wet toilet paper. I know the sink is not leaking. It only happens when I flush the black water tank and then, only after I am done and turn the water off and release the pressure.

I would appreciate it if someone else would also take a picture of that is on their 179. Does it also show evidence of water when the flush supply hose is disconnected?

Edit:  Don't bother with a picture. I found out what it is and now know it is defective. It is a Vacuum Breaker/Check Valve. It is to prevent backflow of black water into the hose and water system being used to flush the tank. It is also to prevent siphoning of black water out the flush port if the cover should become loose during travel. The fact of it leaking means I need to replace it. I am looking for alternatives to this plastic part which is way overpriced. I am thinking of this one. Does anyone have experience with it? Is it more reliable?
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
blondie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 4:20pm
Had our 178 2 years, always go for full services at a KOA, wonderful shower areas. If we had to, we could use 178 shower, but hubbie wants to put in a new showerhead and take out the "sink".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>